Help identifying Locomotives

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

Jammy
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Help identifying Locomotives

Post by Jammy »

Hello, although I'm not an expert at trainspotting I would like some help identifying the class of engines which do not have a visible number. If you could please help me that would be great.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Help identifying Locomotives

Post by jwealleans »

Hi,

I'm looking at these on a phone which isn't ideal but I've got nothing better to do while awaiting a train so here goes:

First one is an Ivatt LMS 2-6-0 (or perhaps BR equivalent); second one ex-H&B 0-6-0, or perhaps GNR (Stirling, anyway); third one looks like an A6 or A7.

My first thought on the fourth one was A5 or C14 but I may well be wrong; fifth one is an A8; last one may be a K2 but it's very indisctinct.

HTH
50C
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by 50C »

I think all the photos are on the website 'hornsea to hull preserved railway'

Hope it helps

50c
Jammy
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by Jammy »

Thank you for all the help, there may be more to come but I'll try and put this new knowledge to the test and do my own bit of Trainspotting! Thank you.
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

photo 1 - LMS Class 4 2-6-0
photo 2 - H&B Class J28
photo 3 - A6
photo 4 - A6, L1 in background
photo 5 - L1, A5, A5
photo 6 - B1
kudu
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by kudu »

Now can we have some locations please, anybody?

Kudu
50C
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by 50C »

All the photographs,I think, were taken at or just outside of Hornsea Town terminus station.As a child in the 50's I went for summer holidays to Hornsea and used to stay in a guest house opposite Honsea Bridge station which was the first stop on the way back to Hull Parargon station.

50c
kudu
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by kudu »

50C wrote:All the photographs,I think, were taken at or just outside of Hornsea Town terminus station.As a child in the 50's I went for summer holidays to Hornsea and used to stay in a guest house opposite Honsea Bridge station which was the first stop on the way back to Hull Parargon station.

50c
Thanks. Top picture (the Ivatt 4) looks like a through station, though, as there seem to be level crossing gates at the far end.

And I'm intrigued by the angle of the smaller loco in the second pic. Is it on a turntable?

Kudu
50C
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by 50C »

There was a level crossing behind the station through which the run-round loop passed.On the end of the siding,I seem to remember,was a turntable which I never saw used as in the early 50's all the timetabled passenger traffic was handled by various classes of tank engines. I'm sure tender locos must have been used on ocassion so they could have used it or instead returned tender first to Hull which wasn't too far away.
I suspect the turntable was a relic of the long distance past when there was more holiday traffic.
Further down the East coast is Witherensea,also on a line from Hull, which had a terminus station but did it have a turntable?

50c
50C
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by 50C »

Sorry,it should be Withernsea.

50c
Solario
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Solario »

Just to clarify 50Cs input, both the Hornsea and Withernsea branches terminated with a turntable.