NER Autocar - restoration progress

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Re: NER Autocar - restoration progress

Post by Autocar Publicity »

Running in multiple... possibly....

A Railcar Gala could be interesting, though probably not with mainstream appeal.

Here's a view of an original notice above the windows.
Sign R.jpg
Ferrybridge Flyer
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Ferrybridge Flyer »

Furnishing of Information--love it!!!Whatever happened to the beautiful English Language?? :D
Bring back Ferrybridge station!
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Is the notice above in etched brass by any chance, i see the possibility of a replica being made to sell for fund raising and replacements for the vehicle.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

I'm not sure, I don't remember it being a large/thick plaque, I was actually working away on the other side of the coach and just did a few for the album - in all honesty I was concentrating more on shutter speed (rather slow!) and white balance (tricky with the lights!).

Some of the paint is coming off very easily, other bits - aren't... With the latter, it's a fine balance between scraping hard enough to get the paint off and not so hard you damage what's underneath. Around signs and the more elegant pieces of timberwork, that's a seriously tricky balance and very labour intensive...

Still, a replica is always a decent idea, even if it's not 100% historically accurate it looks as though it could have been. I'll take a look next time, see if it's brass or something else.
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

Perhaps a few could be sold and put up in modern trains, although how you would furnish officials from the company at unmanned stations i'm not overly sure.
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Well, the news we've been hoping for is now official - we have the Lottery money. HLF has awarded us a grant of £465,800 to restore the Autocar and 1904 autocoach.

The HLF money will pay for a new engine, generator, controls and brakes to be fitted. As I may have mentioned once or twice before, there will be lots of opportunities for volunteers to get involved, in particular for people with electrical, pipe fitting, welding, painting and woodworking skills keen to experience working in the heritage sector. The autocar, when finished, will be fully accessible to all, and using the latest audio visual equipment will act as a ‘mobile classroom’ for schools and community groups so they can learn all about the development of rail transport from steam travel, to present day.

Fiona Spiers, Head of the Heritage Lottery Fund for Yorkshire and the Humber said:

This project to restore the predecessor to modern rail transport is fascinating. Not only will it preserve a precious relic from our industrial past, it will also provide many opportunities to get involved and develop skills as part of the restoration, which is great news for people in the area.’

Stephen Middleton, Harrogate coach restorer and NER 1903 Electric Autocar Trust Chairman, originally bought the autocar body from a landowner who had used it as a holiday home since 1930. He said:

‘We are delighted that the HLF has recognised the importance of this train and our restoration and educational plans. This, with smaller grants from the Ken Hoole Trust and PRISM (The Fund for the PReservation of Industrial and Scientific Material) has given us the boost we need to complete the project within an ambitious timetable
.’

The HLF describes their activities:

Using money raised through the National Lottery, the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) sustains and transforms a wide range of heritage for present and future generations to take part in, learn from and enjoy. From museums, parks and historic places to archaeology, natural environment and cultural traditions, we invest in every part of our diverse heritage. HLF has supported 30,000 projects, allocating £4.5billion across the UK, including £351million in Yorkshire and the Humber alone.
Paul B
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Paul B »

Brilliant news - great to hear that lottery money DOES go to good causes! :D

Just a shame that I am so far away from her, or I would love to volunteer to do some work on her!
LNER fan in the home of the GWR!
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

EXCELLENT NEWS cant wait to get it powered, I hope Brush are on overtime with the controls.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

Very good news, congratulations. When do you start selling tickets for the first run?
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Absolutely brilliant news, well done
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
Ferrybridge Flyer
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Ferrybridge Flyer »

Nice one Simon-well done on that.So it does go to deserving causes sometimes!!!!!!
Bring back Ferrybridge station!
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Thanks chaps. All being well, we should have it running mid - late 2012 (depending how many man-hours our volunteers put in and whether there's any problems).

For those living far away, hands-on work is obviously not an option, but there's all sorts of 'back-room' jobs that you can do, such as spreading the word, tapping up rich relatives to write us cheques (I know we've the Lottery money, but it won't hurt to have a 'cushion' in the bank and our incentive scheme is still running - donors can be some of the first to travel in the autocar), sending us any information you come across and generally being supportive. And if you do think of anything which might help [remotely], let us know.

Richard's building a 7mm model, but if anyone wanted to build a 4mm one (possibly based around Allen Doherty's kit) and write about it for one of the magazines, neither we nor Allen would turn the publicity down and hopefully you'd have fun as well...

We'll be taking the publicity stand to Scalefour North (9th/10th April) and Bradford (16th/17th) model railway exhibitions, so if you are in the area, do drop in and make yourself known.
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Coboman
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Coboman »

Good luck with this project! Who made the original petrol engine that was used in it, and do you have one?
Its good to know where you stand. Saves making a fool of yourself later......
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Which engine...? It's had three so far, a Napier, a Wolseley and one from a WW1 tank. It will receive a fourth - a diesel, this time, from Brush. There wasn't a petrol engine of (remotely) the right size available and we wouldn't have been able to use one anyhow, due to safety regulations.

There's more at http://www.lner.info/locos/IC/ner_petrolelectric.shtml and http://www.electricautocar.co.uk