northern railfans

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

maurice smith
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

northern railfans

Post by maurice smith »

I was recently told about a gentlemen somewhere in the scottish isles,who has all the archives of the "Northern Railfans" club and that he will photocopy the records of there depot visits,i am looking for visit reports in steam days in what i call the golden years 1960 to 1965.If anyone has information on this site or any other visit report sites from the days of steam,i would be very grateful for any info recieved , Maurice Smith
chrism
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Re: northern railfans

Post by chrism »

Hello Maurice

I was interested to read your comments as I was a member of the Northern Railfans up to 1960. Unfortunately I can't comment on the years after 1960. I do recall going on many shed and works visits organised by the club. There were fairly regular visits to works such as Doncaster and Crewe, usually included a visit to the local sheds. Other shed visits were organised on specific areas such as Leeds, Manchester, East Lancs etc. There were longer trips to visit sheds in London, Scotland, South Wales and other areas. I'm sorry I cannot be more specific, but all my records were thrown out before I left to live in Canada in 1967 - how I regret their loss now! The president of the club was, I recall, Ray Hawley and he lived in Goostrey, Cheshire. Another official was a Mr Conderson and I believe he came from Todmorden.

They were great days and I'd be very interested in viewing any club records from that era, as I'm sure it would stir up a lot of memories. Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

Chris M
YNMR
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by YNMR »

This could be the chap who trades as Shed Master archives - he is now back in Lincolnshire I believe. I have the details somewhere so I will try & find them. The only down side is that I believe from my last correspondence with him early last year he is having a break & was not intending to do any "Shed master" work for a couple of years.
Lofthouse
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Lofthouse »

Re Northern Railfans Club.
I was a member in the late 1950-1960. Membership No 4712.
The chap from the north of Scotland was Patrick Evans (shed master).
The vice president from Todmorden was CB (Clarence) Brown,who looked after us youngster on
the many weekend shed and works visits ,by both coach and overnight train.
If there is any ex members still about,please get in touch with any memories or thoughts.
Best regards,
Geoff Page.
Gricer
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Gricer »

I was a member of the Northern Railfans in the fifties while at school.

Went on vists all over the place, Crewe Works, Derby Works and vist to all the Works and Deports in what is now Greater Manchester. Always remember it as there was snow on the ground and I won a prize in the raffle. I remember that one of the people running it was called Brown and I think another was called Smith.

Great days and I still have the badge.
rob237
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by rob237 »

Gricer wrote:... and I think another was called Smith....
According to Trains Illustrated of the 50's, "T.Smith" led the Northern Railfans Crewe Works visit every Sunday afternoon. Members merely having to report to the main gate...
The magazine also listed their other forthcoming activities, in each monthly issue...

Cheers
Robt P.
johnst
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by johnst »

I was a member from around 1963.
One of my favorite visits was to Darlington Works and Shed; 60009 "UNION OF SOUTH AFRICA" was in the Works and i remember one of her nameplates was on the floor, the BR guide said if one of the group could pick it up we could take it with us!
As well as the many trips to Crewe Works (i only lived fifteen miles away) i also remember a tour of the Leeds and Wakefield area Sheds and another tour of the Manchester area which included The Manchester Ship canal Shed at Mode Wheal as well as the BR Sheds.
Those were very happy days for me and i would be very interested to see any reports of visits by the club, i kept my copies of the
Newsletters for many years, but they went missing some years ago.
griswald
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by griswald »

I have just registered on this site .
I was a member in the early to mid sixties and somewhere i have details of a visit to West Riding sheds on a foggy winters day.
I will post details when i find them.
griswald
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by griswald »

I have found details of Northern Railfans visit No 841 to the West Riding on February 9th 1963.
Sheds visited where as follows.
56C Copley Hill / 56A Wakefield / 56D Mirfield / 55C Farnley Junction / 55A Leeds Holbeck / 55H Neville Hill
56B Ardsley / 55B Stourton / 56F Low Moor .
If anyone is interested i have details of all locos on shed at the time of the visit.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

griswald wrote:I have found details of Northern Railfans visit No 841 to the West Riding on February 9th 1963.
Sheds visited where as follows.
56C Copley Hill / 56A Wakefield / 56D Mirfield / 55C Farnley Junction / 55A Leeds Holbeck / 55H Neville Hill
56B Ardsley / 55B Stourton / 56F Low Moor .
If anyone is interested i have details of all locos on shed at the time of the visit.
Yes please - particularly Copley Hill! :D
griswald
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by griswald »

I have completed the lists of locos for NORTHERN RAILFANS VISIT No 841.
Please see attatched Word Document.
I may also have the odd photograph of that visit but i think the quality was
poor due to weather conditions and my inexperience.
Attachments
NORTHERN RAILFANS.doc
(28 KiB) Downloaded 454 times
port stephens
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by port stephens »

chrism wrote:Hello Maurice

I was interested to read your comments as I was a member of the Northern Railfans up to 1960. Unfortunately I can't comment on the years after 1960. I do recall going on many shed and works visits organised by the club. There were fairly regular visits to works such as Doncaster and Crewe, usually included a visit to the local sheds. Other shed visits were organised on specific areas such as Leeds, Manchester, East Lancs etc. There were longer trips to visit sheds in London, Scotland, South Wales and other areas. I'm sorry I cannot be more specific, but all my records were thrown out before I left to live in Canada in 1967 - how I regret their loss now! The president of the club was, I recall, Ray Hawley and he lived in Goostrey, Cheshire. Another official was a Mr Conderson and I believe he came from Todmorden.

They were great days and I'd be very interested in viewing any club records from that era, as I'm sure it would stir up a lot of memories. Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

Chris M
I too was a member upto 1960 and spent many a good weekend visiting sheds all over and unfortunately over the years have lost all my notes I now live in Australia and have tremendous fond memories of visiting most of the sheds at night doing weekend jaunts, TA
port stephens
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by port stephens »

rob237 wrote:
Gricer wrote:... and I think another was called Smith....
According to Trains Illustrated of the 50's, "T.Smith" led the Northern Railfans Crewe Works visit every Sunday afternoon. Members merely having to report to the main gate...
The magazine also listed their other forthcoming activities, in each monthly issue...

Cheers
Robt P.
I can remember this very well, I used to turn up at the gates of Crewe works and this was around 1957-1959, and there was always a crowd waiting.
M. Rimmington
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by M. Rimmington »

Have just been reading messages about the Northern Railfans Club.
I was an Honorary Official for the club..being the girl who folded the newsletters put them in the envelopes and stuck on the stamps - dozens of them ugh! and sometimes typed. Clarence Brown (CB) was my brother in law. Sadly he and his wife Sheila(my sister) have now passed away. Ray Hawley died many years ago but I believe some stalwarts of the club have an annual reunion in Todmorden. I have about a dozen of CBs photographs of engines which were taken on visits and have the locations and dates on them. Remembering members names is difficult now that I have reached a certain age but those I can bring to mind are Bill Sawyer, Jack Pottle, Iain Smith from Edinburgh and Bob Bennett from Mirfield and I think there was Ray Manning, Ralph Nuttall, Oh and David Fielden who was at school with me in Todmorden in the 60s. I have a photo of a group of fans with David on it. I didn't go on many trips with the lads so can't help with chats about the old days. Jim was one of the coach drivers.
james b
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by james b »

I have just come across this thread ..
While writing out my "childhood memories" I have mentioned the 5 years I went "Train spotting" ..{1958-1963}.....for my grand children .

So I started to research the "Northern Railfans club" .....a
I have a few photos of those times taken with my "brownie 127 "
I went on many trips , Seeing Doncaster works , Crew works , Darlington works [ seeing all the scrapped locos , lines of them ]Derby Works .
I also did the trip around Leeds , The Manchester and Liverpool trip , The Derby area , Darlington area , and Doncaster area , of the few I can remember .
I tried to go on once a month , depending if I could afford it at the time ..
Every month I looked forward in getting the news letter ....
My main train spotting places were Leeds City and York ..