I don't think you meant to do that .....

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

I don't think you meant to do that .....

Post by 2562 »

Does anyone have any idea what was going on at this derailment at Wood Green?
I'm guessing the date is late 60s.

Andy
Attachments
wood green derailment.jpg
Regards,

Andy.
Isinglass Models
cambois
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Re: I don't think you meant to do that .....

Post by cambois »

I think that you might find the conflat being used as a runner for the long load on the BBD had popped out, probably as a result of the first part of the train braking and the part behind it not stopping as quickly.

I had experience of the same with fully fitted vac braked freight which had an empty conflat and then 5 blowthrough ferry vans behind, which on braking down the grade towards Co'path just poped the conflat off one pair of wheels and then it ran for miles on the fastenings!
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

2562 wrote:Does anyone have any idea what was going on at this derailment at Wood Green?

Andy
Andy,
In case you don't know the precise location in the photographs, it looks to me like the train was on the Up Goods line, between Boxes No.2 and No.4.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
hq1hitchin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by hq1hitchin »

StevieG wrote:
2562 wrote:Does anyone have any idea what was going on at this derailment at Wood Green?

Andy
Andy,
In case you don't know the precise location in the photographs, it looks to me like the train was on the Up Goods line, between Boxes No.2 and No.4.
I think your date is right and I agree with Steve about the lines we are looking at and what a great little collection of snapshots of the way we were on Britain's railways in the 1960s, Andy. Thanks very much. I'm pretty certain the traffic inspector (a real, genuine, 'black mac') with his back to us in the first photo is Charles Redgers BEM, known to one and all as 'Teapot Charlie'. At that time he would have been a Divisional Freight Inspector and he also used to run the evening block signalling classes in the East Side Offices at Kings Cross and had been awarded the BEM for his efforts as a relief signalman one night during the blitz. Just look in detail at the other characters in view, a vanished world. By the way, the local p.way inspector wouldn't have far to come as his office was just out of sight of the camera.

Thanks again
A topper is proper if the train's a non-stopper!
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

First let me say.......wasn't me, I was in Australia, and have witness's.

A nice view of my old spotting area, use to stand behind the railings at the top of the bank, my great grandfather also used to live in one of the houses in the background, don't know which one though, the photographer is standing on platform 1, which was demolished along with platform 2 in the early 70's, a good spot for watching the J52's shunting the coaches in Bounds Green CS, Happy days :mrgreen:

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

I hadn't thought of Charlie, hq1. I think you're right - well spotted (looks like the same gent just in the LH edge of the 2nd photo too).
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Query.
Why does an E lettered Hopper E470255 have return empty to APPLEBY painted on it?
Especially when so near to London.
Is it to the APPLEBY on the former NE line in Cumbria?
Or is it referring to APPLEBY near Scunthorpe? Not aware of any Civils yard in that area though.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Bryan wrote:Query.
Why does an E lettered Hopper E470255 have return empty to APPLEBY painted on it?
Or is it referring to APPLEBY near Scunthorpe? Not aware of any Civils yard in that area though.
Could be a referrence to a ballast quarry Bryan?
The main wagons with writing like that, that i can recall were marked Return to Etherley tip. So I wonder if it may have been part of the civils fleet allocated to a particular quarry.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
R. pike
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by R. pike »

52D wrote:
Bryan wrote:Query.
Could be a referrence to a ballast quarry Bryan?
The main wagons with writing like that, that i can recall were marked Return to Etherley tip. So I wonder if it may have been part of the civils fleet allocated to a particular quarry.
There was a Slag Reduction Company near the Appleby Froddingham steelworks. They would have supplied crushed industrial slag for use as ballast.
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by 2562 »

Thanks Guys, I was hoping there might be a little bit of interesting history behind these and learning about Teapot Charlie certainly comes in that category!

There were a couple more photos that went with these - I'll dig them out and add them to the post.

Andy
Regards,

Andy.
Isinglass Models
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Is there any more detail available of the crane in use?
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by 2562 »

Hello Bryan, more photos as promised. There are another 3 other than this showing various angles of sorry looking wagons as well as D5609 being used to extracate some of the mess.
the writing on the side of the crane reads:
45 tons
steam breakdown crane
DE 330110
Loco Dept
Peterborough
Attachments
crane and wagons at wood green derailment
crane and wagons at wood green derailment
Regards,

Andy.
Isinglass Models
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

It appears that the crane still survives.
It is listed as being at Crewe Heritage centre but converted to Diesel Hydraulic.
B4411
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by B4411 »

2562 wrote: Wed May 11, 2011 9:03 pm Does anyone have any idea what was going on at this derailment at Wood Green?

Andy
Very old thread, I know, but the date is certainly pre-1968 since in that year DE330110 was re-jibbed with a unique all-welded jib following accident damage, and the jib in the photos is the original.
Mickey
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by Mickey »

B4411 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:05 pm Very old thread, I know, but the date is certainly pre-1968 since in that year DE330110 was re-jibbed with a unique all-welded jib following accident damage, and the jib in the photos is the original.
In Wood Green Up Box No.4-

CRASH BANG WALLOP!!. "Ruddy hell what was that!!. Blimey we're off the road!!,"

6 bells banged into Wood Green Up Box No.2 Obstruction Danger and peg the Up Enfield line block instrument to 'Train On Line' then straight on the block phone to Wood Green Up Box No.2-"We're off the road on the Up Goods George!."

In Wood Green Up Box No.2 6 bells Obstruction Danger received on the Up Enfield line block instrument and the block needle goes to Train On Line followed by Wood Green Up Box No.2 asking Wood Green Up Box No.4. "Has that ruddy goods come off the Up Goods road cos I heard the 'BANG' and I was just about to eat my breakfast as well typical."

In Wood Green Up Box No.4 "Yeah it's made a right old mess it's all over the Up Goods and Up Enfield roads. Is the Up slow line still clear at your end?."

In Wood Green Up Box No.2 "Yes it's clear along the Up slow line into the north end of the station platform."

In Wood Green Up Box No.4 "Ok I won't block the Up slow line then. Right I'll ring Control and order up the Brakedown vans and they also better get hold of either Johnny May or Ted Nye and get one of them up here as well."
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.