Wartime accident No3 Musselburgh NBR section

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

v3man
LNER J39 0-6-0

Re: Wartime accident No3 Musselburgh NBR section

Post by v3man »

I did a rough sketch of the layout at Newhailes Junction in the early 1960s but, unfortunately, it is incomplete. However it may be of interest. The points at the entrance to the loop were worked by electric motors operated by turning the handle of a generator as they were too far away from the box to be operated by rods..
Attachments
Newhailes Junction.jpg
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Most helpfull v3man, do you know what the gradient was down to Musselburgh?
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
v3man
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by v3man »

The 1947 LNER Sectional Appendix shows the gradient as 1 in 111 and the speed limit on and off the branch at Newhailes Junction as 10mph.
v3man
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by v3man »

Perhaps those who were footplatemen could comment but is 1 in 111 a steep enough gradient for a freight which had negotiated a 10mph curve, albeit obviously well over the limit, to travel a for mile and be unable to stop.
Multiprinter
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Multiprinter »

v3man wrote:Perhaps those who were footplatemen could comment but is 1 in 111 a steep enough gradient for a freight which had negotiated a 10mph curve, albeit obviously well over the limit, to travel a for mile and be unable to stop.
Steep enough and fast enough.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

The past couple of weeks has moved this thread on apace but i still have yet to confirm the id of the loco involved. From pics seen of the aftermath it appears to be a Scottish Director, can anyone with a relevant yeadons check to see if any of the Scottish Directors are mentioned in context with an accident in Jan 1941, please.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Multiprinter
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Multiprinter »

If it was a Director it's hardly surprising it couldn't stop. 4-4-0s are hardly the most suitable locos for goods work.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Anything that could move was brought into service in wartime, we even loaned the GWR some elderley 0-6-0s to replace Dean goods locos that had been called up by ROD.
Andy W
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Andy W »

Been through Yeadons but a lot of the Scottish Directors went through shops in early 1941 and many haven't got the "date in" recorded.

So no luck there, I'm afraid.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Thanks for looking Andy, I am about to ask another place where JW and i occasionally post if anyone can help.
craigynix
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by craigynix »

I thought it might be interesting to post a picture of the young Helen (Ella) Currie Krause who would have been my Aunt. Born in Scotland in 1921 she immigrated to Canada with her parents Gustave and Jean Krause (nee Pearson), both of Musselburgh Scotland. Ella returned to Scotland just as the war started and was staying with her aunt Mamie (Pearson). She was survived by two sisters Jean and Tommie as well as a brother Gustave who lived in Prince Rupert BC, where her Father and Mother had settled in the early 20's.

I plan on visiting Edinburgh later this year and hope to see if I can connect further with some relatives who may remember Ella.
Attachments
Ella Krause.jpg
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Thanks for posting the pic, Its always good to see a face just mentioned in reports. I have a new lead on a location of an accident report and i should be able to report within two weeks. I will send you a pm if anything else comes up.
v3man
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by v3man »

I was back in Musselburgh a couple of weeks ago and enquired at the recently opened Musselburgh Museum (run by volunteers) what they might have about the accident. Although nothing was on display a very pleasant helpful lady said she was sure they had something upstairs and she would look it out and contact me. Nothing by email yet but it was only two weeks ago - I'll give another two weeks and gently enquire again!
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Thanks again V3man, I feel sure my contact can come up with the report if it is not subject to some 100 year rule as there were criminal proceedings against the crew.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Bad news my contact searched in the NRM for a report but could not find one.