Tiled maps of the NER

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Tiled maps of the NER

Post by PinzaC55 »

Eden Blyth wrote:A gentleman who used to trainspot there in the 1950's told me that it was on Platform 10. It is also mentioned in a couple of issues of BLN in 1987, although no location is given. You are probably all already aware of this, though.
aware of this, though.
That's interesting. Since Newcastle was resignalled in 1959 and the new power box was built over part of Platform 10 I guess it is possible the map was destroyed during the building works? It seems baffling why it would be INSIDE the station rather than on the concourse but I suppose that also applies to those at Scarborough and Whitby. Only York is in a sensible position except for having a seat in front of it!
Postman Prat
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Postman Prat »

Hi

My main spotting started at Newcastle late 1959 and, like the majority of spotters, I used platforms 9 and 10. Despite the memory doubts expressed in my previous post, I think I can say with certainty it was not there in my day. I can only agree with Pinza's suggestion as to what happened to it.

The first one I remember seeing was at York in 1961 or 62
PP
The light at the end of the tunnel is probably a train coming towards you!!
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Just a reminder chaps 52Ds list of maps from page 3, im always looking for corrections and updates feel free to comment.

Location;

Alnwick - Originally no map fitted but now has replica in Barter Books buffet
Alnmouth - Missing,was located on up platform near ladies waiting room(60041 has new information and rekons it was in the ticket office lobby)
Beverley - Extant
Bridlington - Missing, smashed by station demolition contractors.
Darlington - Missing
Durham - Missing
Goole - Missing
Hartlepool - Extant
Hexham - Missing, destroyed by person attempting to remove old poster
Hull Paragon - Missing
Kings Cross - Moved now displayed in NRM York
Leeds City - Missing presumed lost in remodelling of Leeds Area
Malton - Missing
Marylebone - Missing, jurys still out in this debate see Malcolms post General LNER discussion Rolling stock
Middlesbrough - Extant
Morpeth - Extant, located on up platform
Newcastle Central - Missing
Normanton - Missing
Pickering - Originally no map fitted. Replica now installed see page 4.
Saltburn - Extant
Scarborough - Extant, is on the end of the main station building, just before the canopy ends.
Selby - Missing, Information from a colleague thinks the map was lost in the early 1960s when a wall adjacent to the booking office was demolished
South Shields - Extant, displayed In local municipal museum
Thornaby - Pinzac55 on this site posts that Thornaby had a tiled map that was given to the NER historian Ken Hoole on demolition of the station.
Tyne Dock - Missing, destroyed in an arson attack circa 1970.The map was at the south (Harton Jct) end of the island platform, on the west-facing wall. (Via Starbeck 50D).
Tynemouth - Extant
Whitby - Extant
York - Extant, is just off Platform 3 towards the entrance to the left of the convenience store, facing the platform.
Another - I can confirm another map exists in a stately home with NER connections in the South East of England but due to the house being a military installation viewing is not permitted. (Thanks to a branch of HM Forces for the information and confirmation).
Last edited by 52D on Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

Alnmouth - Missing,was located on up platform near ladies waiting room(60041 has new information and rekons it was in the ticket office lobby)
Here's my photo of the ticket office at Alnmouth in 1979. http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinzac55/3612393336/
I certainly can't remember the map there then, but since the Down side buildings were all wood I suppose it must have been on this side? Unfortunately I didn't take photo's of the Up side platform.
redtoon1892
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by redtoon1892 »

Being a "platform ender" on the Central from 1955 I cant remember any tiled map, I can remember the platform ticket machines (2d), the machine where you could stamp out your name onto a thin lead strip, the penny scales, the model railway around the Xmas tree and a particular nasty ticket checkee, Dixon someone said his name was, who wouldent let you on even if you had a platform ticket..
Postman Prat
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Postman Prat »

Hi Redtoon

I remember that miserable b..... as well
PP
The light at the end of the tunnel is probably a train coming towards you!!
Trestrol
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Trestrol »

Maybe it should be suggested that Network Rail refits a map at Newcastle Central. If they did where would it go? How about next to the post box at the entrance.
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

60041 wrote:Another station has now got a map although strictly speaking, as my house ceased to be a station in 1850, it never was a NER station.
I have finally got round to putting up the map I had made last year, it is half size and was made to fit behind the cooker as a splashback, unfortunately I had to leave the bottom row off to make it fit. once I get it grouted and the decorating done it should look ok
That's fantastic, how much did it cost you and where did you get it from?
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
third-rail
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by third-rail »

TRESTROL wrote:Maybe it should be suggested that Network Rail refits a map at Newcastle Central. If they did where would it go? How about next to the post box at the entrance.
last i saw the post box it was sealed up [april this year]
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

TRESTROL wrote:Maybe it should be suggested that Network Rail refits a map at Newcastle Central. If they did where would it go? How about next to the post box at the entrance.
Excellent idea. The cost of a new one (£3000) would be pennies to NR. It should be fitted on the concourse.
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 60041 »

Rlangham wrote:
60041 wrote:Another station has now got a map although strictly speaking, as my house ceased to be a station in 1850, it never was a NER station.
I have finally got round to putting up the map I had made last year, it is half size and was made to fit behind the cooker as a splashback, unfortunately I had to leave the bottom row off to make it fit. once I get it grouted and the decorating done it should look ok
That's fantastic, how much did it cost you and where did you get it from?
I had it made by a company in Ashington called Dinamic Ceramics, they have since changed their name to Dinamic Enterprises. contact Garry Dawson on 0191 4556 776.
I paid about £160 a couple of years ago.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

NERA have indicated interest in the list i compiled so i am hoping NERA members together with our members can fill in the gaps on the list.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
adge
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by adge »

Travelled on the Scarborough Spa Express on Wednesday - saw the tiled map at Scarborough station - in very good condition indeed.
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Visited Whitby today and took a photograph of the tile map there - beautiful, thanks to this thread I was aware of it so made a concious decision to go to the station and photograph it. Unfortunately a blue metal gate which is ran across to block off the entrance after hours covers part of the bottom of it, however the lighting worked well and i'll upload the image of it in a few days hopefully. Does anyone know when Whitby's was installed?
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
Eden Blyth
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by Eden Blyth »

Good evening,
Sorry, I haven't turned up a date for this yet, but I'd very much like to find one, so if you or anyone else ever anyone does .....!
We thought we'd cracked it a couple of years ago - a friend of mine was researching W&PR stuff in the Whitby Gazette, and came across this from the 29th of April 1900 edition, but sadly, it's the York map, which we know was the first in any case, that's being discussed. Some interesting details, though.
Attachments
1900 Whitby Gazette NER articles
1900 Whitby Gazette NER articles
Eden