Restaurant Cars

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Restaurant Cars

Post by Dave »

Hi all.

A couple of questions ??
- what colour where the curtains in 1st class restaurant cars up to WW11, I'm interested in D10C's.
- where the seat coverings blue as 1st class carriages.

Thanks
coachmann
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Re: Restaurant Cars

Post by coachmann »

Good luck with your request. In order to complete my D10C I painted the curtains blue to match first class seating. There used to be a website of Gresley coach interior colour pictures (preserved vehicles) but it seems to have dissapeared.
WEB Gresley D10C diner.jpg
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Thanks chaps

Great models you both have there.

I was thinking of blue seats and curtains but I thought I would ask first. I'm a bit away from doing the interior yet as I'm making the tables and chairs (a slow job).

At least if nobody else comes forward with any info and I find nothing at the NRM then we should be pretty safe
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

According to the original Harris, page 70, some of the 10C cars, introduced in 1929, were finished with 'green hide upholstery'. There is a picture of a restaurant car smoking section in the LNER album number 3 - showing leather seating, I don't know which diagram.

I don't know if this helps much.

John
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Thanks JASd17.

You are right, green morocco leather was used on later GNR and ECJS restaurant cars....I wonder if that was carried in LNER days where leather was used.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

I'm an idiot

You mention in your reply about LNER use.

The NRM have a drawing listed for a 1st class restaurant car seat 6196N dated 1928 (D10C) .....thats next on the list to get, it should confirm if leather or material was used as a covering.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Michael Harris says - I think in more than one place - that first class Restaurant cars had green leather upholstery. FWIW I did my GE Restaurant car like that but with blue curtains much like Larry's.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

There is so much info in drawings, books etc, you tend to forget and take the easy route and ask.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

I've been to the NRM today and looked at the following drawings.

5831N 1st Class restaurant car seats for 9'-0" bodies 5/08/1927 (D10C) - it states - Green antique leather.
This drawing was superseded by
6196N 1st Class restaurant car seats for 9'-0" bodies 22/05/1928 (D10C) - it states - Green antique grain buffalo hide.

So there we have it.....GREEN, sorry Coachman and Mickb.

Now to find out the curtain colour, could it be green??.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Hopefully Blue :lol: :shock:
coachmann
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by coachmann »

I'll have a look at my Gresley D10C to seehow securely the body is fitted to the chassis. Afterall, we may as well have it right..... :wink:
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Update.

So far I have been in touch with the NRM and they have no infomation on curtain colours, we have tried the specifications and upholstery samples, next stop is to find if there is any tender info for the likes of Met Cam (thanks Mike for that).
Wavey
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by Wavey »

Dave wrote:Update.

So far I have been in touch with the NRM and they have no infomation on curtain colours, we have tried the specifications and upholstery samples, next stop is to find if there is any tender info for the likes of Met Cam (thanks Mike for that).
Not sure how many Restaurant Cars were built by contractors. A lot of the Dia 10/11/16 variants were built by Doncaster although a couple of Dia 10Bs for the Cromer sets might have been built by Met Cam.
The LNERCA are trying to source a general arrangment diagram for a Dia 10C which has so far proved elusive.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Wavey,

As a fellow LNERCA member PM me with your email and I will send you my photo's of the D10C GA drawing. The underframe GA drawing is not available but I have an underframe drawing with battery box and electric layouts if you want.