Coach Destination Boards.

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

mojo
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Coach Destination Boards.

Post by mojo »

In the 1930's what would be the text on ecml express train coach destination boards from London to the North?
Was it London - Newcastle, Kings Cross - Newcastle, Kings + - Newcastle, Kings X - Newcastle etc. or any one without the - sign?
Where the boards double sided for use on the return trip?

Maurice C.
WOOTANG
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Re: Coach Destination Boards.

Post by WOOTANG »

hi mojo
if i aint mistaken if the L.N.E.R operated the boards like the L.M.S then when the coaches were moved out of the station to the carriage sidings the boards would of been removed and placed into the guards compartment in the brake coach, then replaced with the boards to go in the opposite direction,

a train such as the 'queen of scots' the boards would state kings cross - leeds - glasgow

hope this helps
:)
JRS - Jordans Railway Simulator
sawdust
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by sawdust »

WOOTANG wrote:hi mojo
if i aint mistaken if the L.N.E.R operated the boards like the L.M.S then when the coaches were moved out of the station to the carriage sidings the boards would of been removed and placed into the guards compartment in the brake coach, then replaced with the boards to go in the opposite direction
Don't think so. We at LNERCA have never seen any sign of any provision to store these boards in vans either on any vehicles or drawings. I suspect they were reversed for the return trip especially for through coaches such as the ones to and from Whitby.

Sawdust.
mojo
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by mojo »

Thanks to both for replies.
Sawdust, do you know what would be the correct wording on the boards?
Was it Kings Cross to ????? or London to ????? or some other?
Maurice C.
sawdust
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by sawdust »

mojo wrote:Thanks to both for replies.
Sawdust, do you know what would be the correct wording on the boards?
Was it Kings Cross to ????? or London to ????? or some other?
Maurice C.
I think I've seen various of KINGS CROSS and KINGS+ but never LONDON on photos.

Sawdust.
jwoch
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by jwoch »

I've got what I think is an old coach side destination board. It reads "SPALDING, DEEPING & STAMFORD". It is almost 11 feet long. Hand painted red and black lettering on a cream background. There's also a piece of another one reading "& GRANGE RD." Can anyone add any information about it?