Atlantic's works: Portable layout update

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Loco/vans/brakes workbench - another cunning RTR conversion?

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Morning All!

Just back from a few days sampling Welsh narrow gauge, hence the silence since last Tuesday.

I don't think your scheme amounts to complete madness Simon, it is all a matter of how much work, of what sort, each modeller wishes to put in - according to what they enjoy and how they value their time (if they have the time available). I didn't entertain the A2/1 idea seriously myself as, from my starting point, it appeared that parts from too many different source-locos would be needed, and I either didn't have the parts as ready spares or could not see an efficent way of getting them by breaking full locos and using/selling the other parts of them. If you have the Nu-Cast running gear then that possibly solves all problems below the running plate, where it might otherwise be necessary to obtain a Bachmann A2 chassis and then both modify the front end plus chop a foot off the rear of the frames and fit new cab steps.
I haven't compared A3 and V2 firebox fittings lately - is there a slight diffrence in the plugs/handholes? Are the highest sections of running plates on the two classes at more or less the same height? I was just wondering, you see, for economy of cost and effort, whether you could use the whole of the A3 boiler (with shortened green part of the barrel ahead of the dome plus extended smokebox) AND all of the rear two-thirds of the A3 running plate too, devoid of its splashers and any wrong lubricator/sander fittings. That would then perhaps mean that you would only need to add a V-front cab as Mick has just done for his "Wolf", the new bits at the front, and a linking piece of curved running plate. Am I making any sense here?
As far as I can tell at present, my resin front running plate, chimneys and the smoke deflectors would suit the A2/1. The front frame pieces and the cylinder stretcher should also fit if one were brave enough to butcher a Bachmann A2 to provide the underpinnings....
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Sorry for late reply Graeme, have been away from the laptop for a bit. That's interesting. I may have to cost it all up and see where it leaves me. I definitely have all the major body components, and the frames/driving wheels. Would need tender, valve gear, your resin components and motor/gearbox to complete.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Meanwhile, a fat Bachmann V2 boiler barrel has been successfully removed. Surprisingly straightforward if you go carefully..... 8)
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I'm glad this is catching on!

Whilst I still have the handrails and decoration on the A2/3 cab to revise, and many other little niceties to attend to to truly "finish" that loco, I've turned elsewhere for the next week or so, at least. So in the (perhaps forlorn) hope of being able to at least put together the main "bones" that will prove the project feasible in time for a trip to the Spalding show, I've started comparing my A3 Sandwich and the Isinglass A1/1 drawing in detail:
STA77172 bod & chas vs drwg.jpg
I reckon I can see a convenient way to trim my resin front running plate to go on the chassis in the right place, adequately and conveniently supported. The cylinders and slidebars may be re-useable with modifications, just as on the A2/3, and transplatation to a new location appears feasible. Re-location of the bogie should be no problem whatsoever. Splitting the unwanted parts of the running plate away from the boiler appears to be quite an easy job as there is so much fresh air between the two items anyway. Making new sections of running plate to run from the front edge of the cylinder steam pipes back to the bottom of the S-curve below the firebox may not even be that hard a job. For later application, I may even have a scheme to to allow the existing lovely cab to remain, but without the incorrect turn-ins to the rear edges of its sidesheets. The tender will also need the same attention if my plan works.

All I need now is for idiots*, pests*, and the unexpected, to stay out iof my way for the next 8 or 9 days. Not possible.......

(* does not of course include LNER fans)
Last edited by Atlantic 3279 on Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
IAK
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by IAK »

All this surgery is very enlightening 8)
Small additional increments are transformative.

http://padgateworks.wordpress.com/
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

Good luck with the A1/1 Graeme - as you know I'm especially interested in this one!

I've been looking at the alternative Hornby A3 models to keep all options open in terms of donor engines with the right boiler - actually, there aren't many are there?

In the event that others are considering this conversion, I hope the following summary might help:

Single chimney A3s with 94A boiler - St Gatien, Windsor Lad
Double chimney A3 with 94A boiler - The White Knight, Galtee More
Single chimney A3 with 94HP boiler - Ladas
Single chimney A3 with 107 boiler - Aussie Flying Scotsman
Double chimney A3s with 107 boiler - Sandwich, Coronach, NRM Flying Scotsman, Brown Jack

Please put me right if I have made any mistakes or missed any from the list!

Sandwich certainly seems the best candidate as it comes with the right tender too. If a tender swap is possible then Brown Jack and Coronach come into play. However, it is likely to be tricky to find a Coronach at a sensible price with it being so new. The NRM Flying Scotsman also has the right boiler I believe, though bands are in a different position so more work involved at the firebox end - would you agree?
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Be wary of the tender swap - you can't swap the whole tender with the latest models, you need to swap over the bodies only (the connections between loco and tender have been changed).

Very interested in this one Graeme, watching and making notes :)

2002EarlMarischal, great list there, thank you for posting it.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

All this surgery is very enlightening
It's true - the more you chop off, the lighter it gets.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

jwealleans wrote:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
IAK
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by IAK »

Horsetan wrote:
jwealleans wrote:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Awa wi ye... :lol:

Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

(thud.... thud.... thud....)
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
All thumbs
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by All thumbs »

IAK wrote:Please put me right if I have made any mistakes or missed any from the list!
One to add is the USA Tour Flying Scotsman which has a 94A boiler and a corridor tender in LNER green. It also has the cowcatcher front end which I imagine will be no loss in the cut'n'shut! :D

Two A3s with 94A boilers to mention are Flying Scotsman and Prince Palatine, both in BR blue. Although these are right hand drive, isn't the cab being set aside for another? It is relatively easy to swap the external appendages across (regulator pipe, reversing rod, ash pan lever - are there others?) and Flying Scotsman also has the correct tender. Mind you, FS only came as part of an M&S Christmas set and seems to have some rarity value so expect to pay c £100 on eBay.
Be gentle! Returning to the hobby after more than 20 years away...
All thumbs
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by All thumbs »

All thumbs wrote:Although these are right hand drive, isn't the cab being set aside for another?
:oops: 'Scuse I - thought this was the one to get the V2 cab but now I look more closely, I see it's not. I'll take another 20 years off...
Be gentle! Returning to the hobby after more than 20 years away...
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

A1/1 progress - sorry for no pictures just yet - I've trimmed the unwanted bits from the resin front running plate, glued the necessary new packing to its underside, re-drilled it and screwed it at the correct height and in the correct for'ard position on the front of the chassis. I've also soldered together, temporarily, two lengths of 1mm square brass and formed these up, on the drawing, to the shape of the angle irons (valances) for the new piece of running plate. Maybe I'll get somewhere with this within the eight day target after all :?: :|

IAK
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by IAK »

All thumbs wrote:
IAK wrote:Please put me right if I have made any mistakes or missed any from the list!
?????? :shock:
How did I write this then?