Signal box at South Otterington near Northallerton

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

flyingfox
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Signal box at South Otterington near Northallerton

Post by flyingfox »

I am hoping that someone can confirm whether the signal box still standing on the disused platform was built before 1892. Any information would be much appreciated
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Re: Signal box at South Otterington near Northallerton

Post by Bullhead »

flyingfox wrote:I am hoping that someone can confirm whether the signal box still standing on the disused platform was built before 1892. Any information would be much appreciated
It dates from the 1930s, when the LNER were developing their pioneering remote-control colour light signalling between York and Northallerton. The LNER "On Either Side" booklet of 1939 invites the passing traveller to observe "the first of the LNER wonder signal boxes...From here is controlled 4 1/2 miles of track. The signalman sits at a control panel and electrically operates the points and signals by small switches".
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
flyingfox
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by flyingfox »

I am very grateful to you for the information. At the same time I am somewhat disappointed because I had been hoping against hope that it might have been the very box where my great-grandfather, Henry (Harry) Eden, had been working on the night of the Manor House accident in November 1892. It would have been good to see the box where he twice spoke to Holmes before he went on duty, and in which he (my great-grandfather) made his own errors which I have always felt contributed almost as much as Holmes to the accident. Is it possible that someone, somewhere, might have an old photo of the 1892 box ?
Also, just north of the road bridge at Otterington station, by the side of the line, were Railway Cottages where Harry and his family lived for at least 20 years. Would you, or anyone else have any information about these please ?
Once again, very many thanks for your prompt reply.
banktop
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by banktop »

hello
just come across the post regarding Otterington signal box . As a boy we
lived in the cottages on the other side of the road bridge which until the laying of
the slow lines was at the northern end of the southbound platform .
I spent many hours on the station with the porter Roland Mallaby . Albert Newstead
was the signalman and Mr Rex the stationmaster , timewise 1952 ----1957 .
The box was a standard mechanical ground frame type , which controlled access
to the goods sidings , when Albert was in control of this stretch he worked the usual
bell signal system for through trains , when he was finished or off duty , he would hand
back control to Thirsk or York .
My father was a lineman at Northallerton , based in the signal box which was
fully electrified , all points being motor driven and all route setting by thumb switches
with the chosen route being illuminated on the large display panel .
All this is now no more , but as you know Otterington signal is in private hands ,
I don,t know if it still retains any equipment .
The only photo I have is taken from the north end of the southbound platform
and shows the old two track road bridge and the old signal box to which you refer
on the opposit side of the tracks .
Hope this is of interest .

regards--banktop
banktop
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by banktop »

hello again
a PS really , the cottages consisted of a block of four , three bedrooms the smallest of which would just accomodate a single bed and dresser . Downstairs was
a kitchen with the back door opening onto a communal yard across which where the earth
closets. A pantry and living room , with a front door which was only about 15 feet
from the slow line completed the accomodation .
Next to this block was a pair of much larger semi detached houses in which lived , when we lived there , a retired P way ganger Mr Wilson and Mr Bartrum another retired railway
employee .
The station masters house still exists on the south side of the bridge .

Regards
Banktop
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

I know the owner of Otterington station and I can confirm that the signalbox is "fully equipped albeit (obviously) not connected to anything.The original frame was stripped out by BR and I think his replacement is ex industrial, possibly Hartlepool steelworks.
There's an excellent photo of the station in use in Ken Hoole's book "Railway Stations Of The North East" and here is my shot from 1978 http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinzac55/3 ... 7/sizes/l/
stembok
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by stembok »

Flying Fox:A relative of mine - a ganger- lived at one time in the railway cottages at Otterington, though this was probably in later NER days. When passing I would always look out for the cottages and noticed that they seemed to disappear perhaps aroung the early 1960s, C1962-63 as I remember. A lot of lineside structures seemed to go at around this time. It is pleasing to see Otterington station preserved as I always thought the style of the 1930s buildings on this stretch of line neat and attractive.
OtteringtonMan
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by OtteringtonMan »

I have read with interest the stories about Oterington Station and Signal box which I own . I am keen to record the history of this wonderful survivor and would welcome contact from Interested people.
Trestrol
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Trestrol »

There is an article on the BBC website about Otterington station. It has now been listed Grade 2 by Historic England. This includes the station building, signal box and the weighbridge.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-46618992