What If

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

mojo
LNER N2 0-6-2T

What If

Post by mojo »

What do you guys think the livery would have been if the Deltic had been commissioned by and supplied to the LNER and not BR?

Doncaster green with WBW lining panels, or maybe similar to the Sentinel steam railcars in green and cream?

Maurice C.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: What If

Post by 60800 »

I know this is an HST, but I reckon the livery would be like this: http://www.fictitiousliveries.co.uk/pho ... 2_lner.jpg
36C - Based out of 50H and 36F
Boris
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Boris »

So have any modelers painted one like this?
EX DARNALL 39B FIREMAN 1947-55
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I like the Donny green HST, but not with that ghastly "elf n safety mania" yellow front.

I'm sure the LNER view would have been along the lines of "if you don't want to get wiped out by a train don't trespass on the railway, and if you work on the railway then you should KNOW when trains are likley to be coming".
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
mojo
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by mojo »

Atlantic,
I agree about the ghastly yellow front otherwise it looks great.
What colour would you prefer the front to be, how about green with WBW speed whiskers from below the cab windows?

Maurice C.
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

How's about apple green up to about the start of the cab shell, and have the cab painted black? Then, it could be painted black along the lower 6inches or so of bodyside with red-lined equipment boxes and trucksides? And have a Deltic in these colours too.
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Green front where the yellow now is, cab windows all edge-lined of course, maybe a rectangular red area where the buffer beam ought to be - also edge-lined and and carrying the number in small shaded gilt numerals.

Perhaps the coaches would have to be in green and cream rather than full mock teak? The upper cream section could then perhaps be extended onto the rear section of each "loco", with a suitably "streamlined" starting/finishing shape to the cream area?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:maybe a rectangular red area where the buffer beam ought to be
Use the same version as what Grand Central has, and you'll have a bufferbeam: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:GRAND ... ch_Day.JPG
36C - Based out of 50H and 36F
kimballthurlow
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by kimballthurlow »

mojo wrote:Atlantic,
I agree about the ghastly yellow front otherwise it looks great.
What colour would you prefer the front to be, how about green with WBW speed whiskers from below the cab windows?

Maurice C.
Hi,
Mojo's mention of whiskers, put me in mind of the blue Deltic, as modeled by Rosebud Kitmaster.

I believe the paint scheme of Deltic by LNER would have been along the same lines as the prototype, designed and built by English Electric (EE) and loaned to BR for operational testing in 1955.
If you think Doncaster green, instead of the powder blue, you will get a feel for how it would look. The LNER lettering of course, would be centred in the side flashes, where the word DELTIC is used.

With acknowledgement to: http://www.therailwaycentre.com/Pages%2 ... eltic.html

To my way of thinking, a similar "colouring mentality" was more likely to exist in 1955, whether BR, EE or LNER. This colour scheme would fit easily with green/cream, teak, or brown trailing stock.

If anyone is interested, I can get my graphics person to recolour the above image in Doncaster green.

regards
Kimball
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

mojo wrote:What do you guys think the livery would have been if the Deltic had been commissioned by and supplied to the LNER and not BR?
Still some form of English Electric livery, since the 'Deltic' was not commissioned by BR but was a speculative build by that company.

Had the LNER continued to exist beyond 31 December 1947 then by that time teak coaches would have been well on the way to replacement by steel-sided stock and no doubt some agency would have been engaged to design a trendy brand image, including string ties and velvet collars to go with the drainpipe-trousered staff uniform.

These speculation threads are rather pointless, but if you look at the EM2 then you will note that the prototype emerged from Doncaster in full lined apple green livery, with LNER transfer and the 'eye' totem on the cab doors, but by 1947 the prototype was repainted in unlined green before the class was then painted lined black by BR, before becoming green again, then with warning panel, then blue, then 'heritage' liveried examples were prepared.
mojo
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by mojo »

Kimball,
It would be interesting to see the DP1 in green, give it a try please.
Maurice C.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

mojo wrote:Kimball,
It would be interesting to see the DP1 in green, give it a try please.
Maurice C.
Ay up!

When first mooted, the EE "House Colours" of green and cream were mooted but rejected as looking too much like an ice cream van. Interesting, seeing as DP1 has gained this soubriquet anyway! :mrgreen:
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
Coboman
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Coboman »

A quick 5 minute effort. Not sure the hue is quite right but you get the idea....
Its good to know where you stand. Saves making a fool of yourself later......
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

I reckon that looks rather fetching. Now, do I add that to my long, long list of future projects?
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!