Bachmann 2012

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

40C
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Re: Bachmann 2012

Post by 40C »

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Well, the tender as already revealed (and wrong) for the Scottish Directors may at least be correct for that one, unless they make a special effort to alter it so that it's wrong again! With any luck the actual model will also have the beading on the splasher, unlike that pre-prod image.

I didn't spot if the website stated how many sheckles they would be demanding, or a pound of flesh cut from nearest the heart.
Last edited by Atlantic 3279 on Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

£130 it says.

Hopefully this will be the prelude to Bachmann releasing the D11/1 BR liveried version sometime in the future and much happiness will ensue.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
davidwest
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by davidwest »

Announced far sooner than I thought
Greedy Boards
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Greedy Boards »

Hi All

apparently the going rate for general availability is three years after the NRM version comes out - so I do hope that a Q6 0-8-0 comes out before a NRM Q7 0-8-0, as three years is a tad long, but then I guess that we NER fans can't be too picky, if we finally get something produced in addition to the venerable J72 0-6-0T.

Also, just picked up my copy of Bachmann Catalogue 2012/13, and looks like I will be investing in the V2 2-6-2 60860 Durham School; a second WD Austerity 2-8-0; a fish van or two; a couple of 12 ton ventillated vans; and a 24 ton iron ore hopper. So I wonder with all this freight traffic, when will a J11 transform in to a J26/J27, and the B1 in to a B16? The latter going as far as Edinburgh on the ECML, and Woodford Halse on the Great Central. With the former operating in both NBR post WW2, and GER territory pre WW2.

Oops forgot to mention a Hornby O1 2-8-0 this year as well, whioch would also go well with Bachmann's Great Central buildings, so what better than a B16 4-6-0 based on a Q7 08-0 boiler?

All things come to he who waits, apparently!!!

Regards

Greedy Boards
North Eastern Matters
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

You are underselling the B16s, they quite often worked up to KX too. While in general terms I would prefer smaller LNER locos (0-6-0s, 0-6-0T's) the B16 family strikes me as most likely candidate for the first NER model in over thirty years.
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Hatfield Shed wrote:You are underselling the B16s, they quite often worked up to KX too. While in general terms I would prefer smaller LNER locos (0-6-0s, 0-6-0T's) the B16 family strikes me as most likely candidate for the first NER model in over thirty years.
It does concern me for the RTR manufactures to get a B16 around 2nd, 3rd or 4th Radius. such a long wheelbase and coupled to the first axle, the kit locos were well know for not managing less that 38 inches.

A Thompson A2 wouldn't seem a problem as Graeme King's conversion have shown, especially as the cylinder isn't in the way to allow the bogie to swing out.

The B16....and the B16/2s and 3 seem to have the biggest issue on this front, seen as the bogie was moved further forward on these locos...here is an example show the PDK version.

Don't get me wrong I'd love one and would save the costs of commissioning one, but thats one large wheelbase, and with valve gear in a particular awkward place to.
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Once Hornby's designers have succeeded in getting Swindon 8 coupled tanks to go around corners, nothing will be beyond them!

Actually I don't believe t5he B16s are any real trouble in OO, if the model maker provides a lot of sideplay on the second and third coupled axles by making the chassis narrow. That spreads the flexibility along the wheelbase, means the bogie doesn't have to swing out so much. That's how a model B1 works and it actually has a longer wheelbase than a B16, and the bogie similarly constrained by the cylinder blocks. (Little dodges like the cylinder block being just a tad short can also be employed.)
Coboman
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Coboman »

strang steel wrote:£130 it says.

Hopefully this will be the prelude to Bachmann releasing the D11/1 BR liveried version sometime in the future and much happiness will ensue.
Considering both the Midland compound and GWR 37xx class are been released as general locos over the next 18 months I would say it goes without question that they will.
I think I'm going to buy 2 in GCR livery and rename one. All I'm going to need now is some GCR coaches........
Its good to know where you stand. Saves making a fool of yourself later......
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Personally I'm waiting for the Crimson Rambler (Compound to the unititiated!) to come out in errr...... crimson?
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

strang steel wrote:£130 it says.

This is probably the only advance order I'll ever make.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

I must admit I'm really tempted to pre-order 506
36C - Based out of 50H and 36F
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:Well, the tender as already revealed (and wrong) for the Scottish Directors may at least be correct for that one, unless they make a special effort to alter it so that it's wrong again! With any luck the actual model will also have the beading on the splasher, unlike that pre-prod image.

I didn't spot if the website stated how many sheckles they would be demanding, or a pound of flesh cut from nearest the heart.
Tony Gee - a superb chap and modeller (who is custodian for Peter Denny's Buckingham) had this to say over on RMweb's D11 thread - he was at Ally Pally and got a good look at the model. I don't know of anyone I would trust more on matters of the GCR than Mr Gee.
I was pleased to see that the Butler Henderson sample had the correct pattern GCR Self trimming tender. This is more than an O4 ROD tender with a few altered details. The tender body is actually a little bit wider, which causes a subtle alteration to the flare at the top of the tender sides. The detail of the tender front is quite different too (including the fire iron bracket). You can just see the sloping sides of the coal space in the rear view, so they look to have done a very good job getting that bit right.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

blackout60800 wrote:I must admit I'm really tempted to pre-order 506
The compensation payment from InEquitable Life just about covers one of these.
IAK
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by IAK »

S.A.C. Martin wrote:
Atlantic 3279 wrote:Well, the tender as already revealed (and wrong) for the Scottish Directors may at least be correct for that one, unless they make a special effort to alter it so that it's wrong again! With any luck the actual model will also have the beading on the splasher, unlike that pre-prod image.

Tony Gee - a superb chap and modeller (who is custodian for Peter Denny's Buckingham) had this to say over on RMweb's D11 thread - he was at Ally Pally and got a good look at the model. I don't know of anyone I would trust more on matters of the GCR than Mr Gee.
I was pleased to see that the Butler Henderson sample had the correct pattern GCR Self trimming tender. This is more than an O4 ROD tender with a few altered details. The tender body is actually a little bit wider, which causes a subtle alteration to the flare at the top of the tender sides. The detail of the tender front is quite different too (including the fire iron bracket). You can just see the sloping sides of the coal space in the rear view, so they look to have done a very good job getting that bit right.
That is a good point.
Having spoken to Mr Gee on a few occasions, I think its fair to say that any fault would nae miss his eagle eye.
Mind it is great to see the NRM/BACHMANN have struck whilst the iron is steaming... 8)
Small additional increments are transformative.

http://padgateworks.wordpress.com/