Ladykillers film 1955/Belle Isle 1967?

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Mickey

Ladykillers film 1955/Belle Isle 1967?

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Ladykillers film 1955/Belle Isle 1967?

Post by richard »

The front of the house (at the end of a street) was down near St Pancras. I don't know how much of the rear was built over the tunnel for filming, and how much was in a studio.

Herbert Lom was in a lot of films (Northwest Passage was mentioned here a little while back, also 'Hopscotch' with Glenda Jackson and Walter Matthau). He lived to a fair age - to be honest I didn't think he was still alive!
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 60041 »

A very good site here:
http://www.martinunderwood.f9.co.uk/Ladykillers/
It shows the locations used then and now plus pinpoints them on a map.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

There used to be a model railway on the circuit with the Ladykillers house above the tunnel.

Which one was it?
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

I feel sure that, for the most part at least, somewhere in these forums, we've been 'here' before, but a quick search failed to find the post/s I had in mind. ; So....

From old and new views, and the recollections of a few now long-retired railway staff, particularly one who did some duty at Goods & Mineral box when the filming was in progress ; -

As Micky I think alludes, in scenes from inside Mrs. Wilberforce's front door looking along the street outside, the street is one with St.Pancras at the far end, and appears almost certainly to have been done looking north along one of those side streets off the south side of Euston Road, with Pancras's front visible at the end; probably it was Argyle Street.

The actual sham house built for the film was on, but towards the eastern side of, the land directly above the Copenhagen Tunnel bores; across the end of what I believe was Frederica Street*, between the ends of the rows of multi-storey accommodation on each side, which I think were somewhat similar to those of 'Culross' and 'Stanley Buildings' between King's Cross and St.Pancras stations.
(*the layout of streets and their buildings in the area above the south end of Copenhagen tunnels has changed nowadays, and the current Frederica Street is almost certainly not necessarily at/on the alignment of, where the old one was).
Word was that, out-of-hours, the 'film' house soon started receiving unwanted attention of the local 'kiddley-winkles', but this was eventually stopped by an offer of something like 10/- (presumably per day) to be shared amongst them, which resulted in it being left alone.
As a single track part of the route from No.9 Arch in KX Goods Yard's 'North Yard' to what the OES Train Staff called "Caledonian Coal Yard" really did pass above the tunnel bores here, although the scenes behind the house appeared all-real, I feel sure that the track seen was the real thing, but the very close-by house, and possibly its back fence, were not.

I agree that, IIRC, the excellent 'Copenhagen Fields' model railway (and other area features) layout, was originally of north of Cop.Tunnel: [Think I recall that the layout included, down on the front of the whole, a platform of Caledonian Road Piccadilly Line underground station with red tube stock periodically coming and going.] But at one point in time long ago I was asked to help with images of the Goods & Mineral/Belle Isle area for a southerly extension they were planning, so if that extension came to be a reality, the inclusion on it of the 'film' house in that model is quite probable.

For the filming's climax of the moving goods trains, both Goods lines were under possesion, and the two trains moved back and forth to the director's requirements, hence being able to see moving the 'wrong' way on both lines.
Last edited by StevieG on Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \