Butler Henderson Premiere

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

K160
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Re: Butler Henderson Premiere

Post by K160 »

Just seen the images on the previous pages. What a great model! 8)
Regards
Matthew Davis
Coboman
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Coboman »

Blackout60800 wrote:The 04 is geared nice and low - my lowest infact.

Kestrel wrote:With a GCR version, a green BR one and three black BR ones available, I rang Bachmann to ask about a D11 in LNER livery. All they would say was "Wait until the 2013 catalogue comes out in March and see if one's in there."

Thanks Bachmann.
It's more than you get out of Hornby.
Whats that? the dial tone? :lol:
Its good to know where you stand. Saves making a fool of yourself later......
2512silverfox

Post by 2512silverfox »

Prince Albert is being touted by Rails with a photo. Question for the BR cognoscenti: I thought the D11s carried full MT lining from Nationalisation? The model illustrated is in plain black livery with early emblem.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Some D11s did carry plain black, and "Prince Albert" was one such. I think there's a photo of it in the Johnson book.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

More on NRM Butler Henderson here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2443&p=77649#p77649
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Some notes on the trials and tribulations of fitting other details here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2443&start=2415

and

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2443&start=2430
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by 45609 »

Good Evening Chaps,

Yesterday I received a Birthday gift, a Prince Albert. Stop sniggering King you know I mean the Bachmann D11/1! Anyway I spent Sunday evening having a good look over the model and have a few observations to report. I'm sure some of you will argue that I'm being very pernickety but there may be a plan behind this excessive nit picking. So bear with me.

Here goes, starting from the front of the loco, recognising that these comments refer to the D11/1s as the appeared under BR ownership.

1. Buffer beam has no rivet detail. Most D11/1s ended up with snap head rivetted buffer beams
2. Buffers are a good representation of the GCR parallel housing, oval headed type. 62665 had group standard buffers
3. There is a lot of snap head rivetting on the lower front portion of the running plate which does not seem typical. There is probably some rivetting there but it must be near flush as it hardly shows up in photographs.
4. The pot lubricators almost in line with the smokebox front on the front of the frames are incorrect for the BR period and appears to be only a GCR period feature.
5. The 'U' shaped bolt head pattern on the front frames is only correct for 62660 in BR days. By this time the rest of the class had been fitted with new cylinders and long travel valves. The rivet pattern was two closely spaced horizontal rows of 6 and 5 bolt heads. The definition of the bolt heads is also a bit light.
6. Smokebox snap head rivet pattern looks to be ok. I've only noticed the odd variation.
7. The chimney flare seems to be a bit plump and definitely of the original GCR pattern. Not the later pseudo-GCR pattern designed by Gorton to enable the snifting valve to fit on the top of the smokebox directly behind the chimney. The fact that the snifting valve is present and seems to fit is a little perplexing. I'm not yet fully convinced of what is amiss so a few measurements need to be taken.
8. Wakefield lubricator on the right hand running plate is wrong. It was only a feature of the D11/2
9. Splasher beading is printed (fair enough) but why in silver and not gold. The beading and name plate was brass.
10. Curved reach rod is correct for all except Bulter Henderson but is wrong for front frame bolt heads (point 5).
11. A variety of missing pipework on the boiler sides due to the incorrect (D11/2) configuration lubricator

So that's it in the fidelity stakes. So far. I have yet to look at the tender. There are also a few irritating quality issues with mine straight out the box. A broken reach rod support, safety valve and whistle all leaning backwards, sand and injector pipes not fitted properly. It doesn't bother me too much as most of this will be coming off for some upgrade work.

So here is the question. Would there be interest in a few parts to deal with a number of very correctable errors? My list is currently...

Rivetted buffer beam
Alternative front frames (overlay or new complete assembly to be decided)
Splasher beading (possible with integral nameplates). See a separate poll that I have started
New reach rod and lever (2 types)
I'm also considering chimney and alternative domes (tall round and tall angular)

Cheers....Morgan
Last edited by 45609 on Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

Well, b####r....

506 started to run jerkily, so I took of her off the track, cleaned, oiled the loco etc. No joy. Took the body off and found I'd left one of the two capacitors on. Snipped it off and the loco decided to get worse. What could be going wrong? Could the decoder be damaged from running with a capacitor?

EDIT: Not the best place to post this, but I'm in disarray
36C - Based out of 50H and 36F
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

mlgilbert30 wrote:Stop sniggering King you know I mean the ......
What? Me? Never!

Thank goodness for the inside cylinder arrangement. Nobody will ever be able to see the condition of your big end.....
Last edited by Atlantic 3279 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

mlgilbert30 wrote:....Would there be interest in a few parts to deal with a number of very correctable errors? My list is currently...

Rivetted buffer beam
Alternative front frames (overlay or new complete assembly to be decided)
Splasher beading (possible with integral nameplates). See a separate poll that I have started
New reach rod and lever (2 types)
I'm also considering chimney and alternative domes (tall round and tall angular)
A CSB-friendly chassis would be a good start, particularly if I can put inside motion in it :wink:
Atlantic 3279 wrote:.....Thank goodness for the inside cylinder arrangement. Nobody will ever be able to see the condition of big end.....
They will on mine :mrgreen:

Post by 45609 »

Horsetan wrote: A CSB-friendly chassis would be a good start, particularly if I can put inside motion in it :wink:
If I can be arsed Mr. Tan. I think I might just scratch build myself a chassis. Anyway Ivan I thought you had a Perseverance D11 kit to build? Mind you will find that turns out to be an exercise in scratch building anyway.
Atlantic 3279 wrote: Thank goodness for the inside cylinder arrangement. Nobody will ever be able to see the condition of your big end.....
Tsk....and I placed my bet on you saying something about making sure it was well lubricated when banking.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

mlgilbert30 wrote:....If I can be arsed.....
I'll take that as a "no", then :lol:

Post by 45609 »

Evening all,

Well my suggestion to do a few detailing bits didn't seem to generate a great deal interest. Nevertheless my poll of favourite names came out with Jutland top followed by Butler-Henderson and Ypres on equal votes. Bearing this in mind I've now prepared the name plate and splasher beading models for these three. See the photos below. I'm going to push on with this anyway because I want to detail up my Director. If you're interested then please do PM me so I can get back to you when I'm ready to put an order into the etchers. No obligations just yet.

Cheers....Morgan
Butler-Henderson RH.jpg
Jutland LH.jpg
62660_B-H_nameplate_comparison.jpg