Lamesley station,nr.Gateshead,closed about 1947

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

cruncher
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Lamesley station,nr.Gateshead,closed about 1947

Post by cruncher »

Hi,Guys,I'm new to your excellent forum.Can anyone help me with regards to the above station.I would love a photo,or a map,showing location,Thanks,Steve
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Re: Lamesley station,nr.Gateshead,closed about 1947

Post by Bullhead »

Old Maps is a good place to start.
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
stembok
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by stembok »

cruncher: Date of closure to passengers of Lamesley - 3.8 miles south of Newcastle - 4/6/1945 according to book by Ken Hoole. Any remains of the site were possibly swept away in the building of Tyne Yard in the early 1960s?
52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by 52A »

Lamesley station was on Smithy Lane, NZ256581, the site on the up side is now the entrance to the saw mills, the down side was removed to make way for the northern extremity of Tyne Yard. There were station buildings on the original over bridge which was replaced by the current road bridge over the end of Tyne Yard. Middleton Press, Eastern Main Lines, Darlington to Newcastle has a photo and small plan.
Civila191
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Civila191 »

I lived at the Lamesley Station much of the time. My Grandparents were residents of the station house. My father and uncles, aunts were raised there. If anyone has any photo's please contact me at Imageordie@AOL.com. I'd love to share the experience of Lamesley Station, as an unused ghost station, in the quiet and peaceful countryside, interrupted only by the cacophony of famous steam engines and clanking freight . Ticket office, waiting rooms, walkways and platforms on the Edinborough to London line. All the namers and freight you can imagine, all day and night, right outside the window. If an express was late during the night, I would wake up and wait for it. Sincerely, Jack Hough
NewOldMan
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by NewOldMan »

In my family tree search I discover a distant relative listed as living at Lamesley station in 1881. With occupation given as "Railway Signalman", and living there with wife and three children, I am curious as to what kind of life the family had. If my research is accurate (and I am just a beginner at this), he went on to return to his home town near Scarborough and later worked as a butler.
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Welcome to the forum, cruncher. Lamesley is not on their list yet (but you never know) but here's a great site for anyone interested in now-gone stations: http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/sites.shtml

Being a suvverner, and now a long way west of the UK, I'm not familiar with small stations in your area, and this site will no doubt have a few, but I'll bet you (or anyone else for that matter) will be fascinated by what you find on that site. Happy looking!
Jades
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Jades »

I second 52A's recommendation of Eastern Main Lines - Darlington to Newcastle via Durham, by Roger R Darsley. The map is undated but the 1912 photo in the book appears to be from a similar era. ISBN of my copy is 978-1-904474-98-2. Should be available from all good railway booksellers, and Amazon.

The book quotes passenger closure as 4th June 1945 and freight closure as 14th September 1959. The station is said to be "to the same style as Birtley, both in the original design and in the rebuilding when the tracks were quadrupled. The ticket office was built on the roadbridge."

Looking at the map, there wasn't much there!
billdonald
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by billdonald »

I seem to recall on my infrequent visits to Tyneside that Lamsley church is still there. I don't know if it is still active, but churches are a very good source of information on local residents. There's another avenue for the original poster to research.

Bill Donald
Dublin, Ireland
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

I can't recall having seen a photo of Lamesley station though I took this photo http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinzac55/3497608955/ of nearby Low Fell station in 1977. All the "Team Valley" stations were more or less identical except for Bensham http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinzac55/3274790354/ so I would suggest if you can get a drawing of Plawsworth of Low Fell you'll be very close. Theres a useful thread on Plawsworth here viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6562&hilit=+Plawsworth If you are local, Local History books are very popular now and I wouldn't be surprised if they included a photo of "your" station.
Margaretmallabar
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Margaretmallabar »

If you want a picture of Lamesley railway station, you can get one at St.Mary's visitor centre, next to the Sage in Gateshead, it's the old church.
I never knew there was a station there, but when I saw the picture I could place it exactly today. It is surprising how big it was. Margaret
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »