EMU Page

This forum is for suggestions and discussion about this site. What would you like to see?

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

tommyd49
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

EMU Page

Post by tommyd49 »

Could we please have an EMU page for the Tyneside EMU system? And possibly, a list of electric lines?
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

EMUs are on the way (but no Rod Hull!). These would be the LNER-era electrics, and not the modern Tyneside Metro.

At the moment all I can say is "before the end of the year" is my current plan. Over the next few weeks I intend to add a proper Electric index (and a Railcar / MU index), and split the current electric page up. The new electric pages will still be 'temporary', but I hope to write the full ones later in the year.
There are a surprising number to add - not just the NER's electrics, but two small tram systems, and the London 'Underground' stock - some of which was still running in London in the 1980s!

A list of electric lines and an overview of the entire NER electric project is probably better suited to an "Article" page?

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Bullhead »

I've sometimes pondered the partial LNER heritage of the class 303 and 311 "Blue Train" emus: in particular the bogies, which are straight copies of their Gresley predecessors (albeit with different axleboxes). See the 2 behind the dmu in this picture:

Strange to think that they rubbed shoulders with V1/3s for a while.
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I'm afraid emu class numbers are a mystery to me!

I'm also still looking at how I'm going to arrange the indices and pages. I'm probably not going to have an EM2 page, but have a footnote on the EM1 page about the EM2s. Although the concept may have started with the LNER, the final engine bore very little resemblance to the LNER.

Also does anyone know the fate of the ex-LNER underground trains that were moved to the Isle of Wight? I assume they've now been withdrawn...?

Moving from electric to steam, the Sentinels also look complicated. Quite a few variants - do I have one big page, or perhaps an overall page with smaller pages for the technical differences?

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
lippy
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Re: EMU Page

Post by lippy »

There is a chance Dave Alexander may produce a North Tyneside Electric in 4mm.

It is early days but I will try and update you as and when there is more news.

Lee
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

EMUs are on the way (but no Roy Hudd!).

Rod Hull would be impressed having someone of Roy Hudd's fame copy him.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

And how long ago was that typo written, and it has only been noticed!

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

My excuse is, that it is from before I joined and haven't seen it before.
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

Isle of Wight still proudly (?) runs the ex 1938 LNER tube stock trains.

Roy hudd foreva.
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Yes I believe the 1938 Tube Stock page mentions that. They've been "reformed" into smaller trains and typically have dinosaur vinyls plastered on them! :-) (beats the Andrew Lloyd Weber advertising stuff that one of them arried in the 1980s)

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re:

Post by 52D »

richard wrote:I'm afraid emu class numbers are a mystery to me!

I'm also still looking at how I'm going to arrange the indices and pages. I'm probably not going to have an EM2 page, but have a footnote on the EM1 page about the EM2s. Although the concept may have started with the LNER, the final engine bore very little resemblance to the LNER.

Also does anyone know the fate of the ex-LNER underground trains that were moved to the Isle of Wight? I assume they've now been withdrawn...?

Moving from electric to steam, the Sentinels also look complicated. Quite a few variants - do I have one big page, or perhaps an overall page with smaller pages for the technical differences?

Richard
Sentinel railcars are easy two types 4 or 6 cylinder
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

This is all history. The thread is very old. I wrote the Sentinel pages, the 1938 LU pages, and the Tyneside EMU pages years ago!
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

If we are going to talk about EMUs, does anyone know of good drawings of the underframes of the Shenfield sets?
Deepol
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by Deepol »

I think there would be LNER origins in this unit at Stratford in 1979 on a Gidea Park run. They became 302s?
Attachments
Unit016-Stratford.jpg
Deepol
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by Deepol »

Historic Glasgow Blue Train photo mirroring the steam to electric changeover sadly in the first instance only to last a month before they were all withdrawn again for a year for transsformer remedial work following explosions and fires.
Attachments
Blue_Steam60.jpg