Connoisseur Models

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Connoisseur Models

Post by Rlangham »

Came across this manufacturer of oo and o gauge loco's, they're cheap which is always a plus, and plenty of LNER loco's. Has anyone bought any of these before? I'm very tempted by the Y7 and J79

http://members.lycos.co.uk/connoisseurmodels/
jdtoronto
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by jdtoronto »

I cannot speak personally, as I don't model in OO or O, but I have had favourable reports about them from an acquaintance who models LNER in O gauge.

John
GeoffB
NER J27 0-6-0

Connoiseur Models

Post by GeoffB »

Hi,

I have some Conoisseur kits - locos and rolling stock - just have a look at the Geoff Byman's J71 - that's from a Connoisseur Kit in O gauge. Very good to build, well thought out and pretty comprehensive, although as Jim says it is a good represntation of the real thing and not a "showroom" model, but is accurate enough to form a good basis to work from.

I did put some extra "little" bits to it but not much - just odd bits that made it a little more near to the real thing.

I have also just built a NE 10ton fish van, which went together very well.

The instructions are really good and very comprehensive - which is more than I can say for the kit I am building at the moment - another manufacturer (who shall remain nameless), which is literally like scratch building only sparing the marking and cutting out. Everything else you need to be constantly referring to the photographs or you get it wrong!.

Not so with Connoisseur kits they are good.And Jim is extremely helpful - a one man band who's best advertising are his customers. And he looks after them.

Thoroughly recomend them.

Regards,

Geoff.

ps. I have no commercial or other interest except what I have put above. I just want to see Jim keep sellin - that way I can still buy his kits.
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Thanks, when I get a bit of money i'd be happy to buy the J79 and get a bit of experience of kit building under my belt at the same time! Do you have an e-mail address for him? Can't find one on the website.

Cheers, Rob
GeoffB
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by GeoffB »

Hi Rob,

Jim doesn't have an email address - only phone - on 01384 371418 - and he will do credit card or cheques and post is free in the UK. A good guy to deal with and the J71 is a very good kit to start with as a first kit.

Regards,

Geoff
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Cheers, i'll send him a letter as I never seem to have time to make phone calls anymore. Thanks for your help!
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Bullhead »

I have one of the Connoisseur Models 4mm N10s, built for me by John Brighton. Here's a picture:

So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
Colombo

Post by Colombo »

Bullhead,

That is a very impressive photo of an interesting loco. I had no idea that they offered that one in 4mm scale and I am tempted.

Colombo
Bullhead

Post by Bullhead »

Colombo wrote:I had no idea that they offered that one in 4mm scale.
Strangely, the Connoisseur website suggests that there's only a 7mm version. Perhaps the 4mm model's gone out of production, but it would certainly be worth getting in touch with Connoisseur to check the latest position in this respect.
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Cor blimey that's a beauty - I want one!
Colombo

Post by Colombo »

Coincidentally, the latest edition of Locomotives Illustrated features NER 8 wheeled tank locomotives and there is quite a bit about N10s. They lasted until 1962 at Gateshead working the Tanfield Waggonway which had 1 in 11 gradients.

The magazine also covers 0-4-4Ts, 2-4-2Ts and finally 2-2-4Ts

Colombo
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Any chance of you being able to scan the pages in? I'd be very interested in reading it, but unfortunately don't have the money to buy the magazine (driving lessons are damn expensive)
Colombo

Post by Colombo »

I will not be able to scan in the 48 pages of Locomotives Illustrated for both practical and legal copyright reasons. It is after all a current magazine readily obtainable from good retailers.

Colombo
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Ah sorry about that, thought it would only be a couple of pages - looks like i'll have to save up my pennies for that then, sounds good
Wandering1500
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Wandering1500 »

Its only 3 pounds? :?

Tis a good issue this time round however, definately recommended.

David