Arthur Gooch - Kings Cross

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Albert
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Arthur Gooch - Kings Cross

Post by Albert »

Does anyone have any information on an Arthur Gooch who was employed in Kings Cross Passenger Loco during the 1940s?
He may have been a Coalman and he certainly was a brilliant sketch artist who's pictures recorded day-to-day events at work.
Who was he and what happened to him?
hq1hitchin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by hq1hitchin »

Sorry, I don't know but there are two of his excellent cartoons in George Case's book ' My Finest Hours' showing life at Kings Cross just after the war. I will be seeing George next month and can ask him, if that helps?
A topper is proper if the train's a non-stopper!
Albert
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Albert »

Thanks hq1,
I have over 40 of his cartoons and think they are brilliant. I know George Case and don't think he knows any more about Arthur Gooch than I do. There is one Kings Cross driver who has vague memories of him which is why it is believed he was a Coalman.
The Railway Pensions Dept. have been unable to help.
paulaanne
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by paulaanne »

I can remember seeing a cartoon of my father working. It was of a control office (I imagine Hamiliton House).I wonder if that was by Arthur Gooch. When was he drawing? It was an excellent drawing, very funny, Dad's legs were sticking though a hole in the desk. The face was very easy to recognise too!
Albert
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Albert »

Hello NER Y7,

Not sure if the sketch you refer to would have been by Gooch as all his known sketches relate to events which happened in or near to Kings Cross Passenger Loco where he worked.
He always signed his work with the word 'GOOCH' in the bottom right corner.

Albert G.
paulaanne
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by paulaanne »

ok thanks for answering.

May have it somewhere in attic, will keep an eye out for it and check. Can't remember when I last saw it. I am learning a lot from this site thanks
shadowrock
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Re: Arthur Gooch - Kings Cross

Post by shadowrock »

I have an album, titled 'The Railway Chronicle from King's Cross Pass Loco' drawn by 'A. Gooch' and dated 1947 / 1948. It contains just over 100 uncoloured and coloured sketches of the life and times of people working at King's Cross. The cast of characters include: Tosh (aka the Caledonian Terror' and the 'Ash King'); Ike; Bogie (a horse); Mr Weedon; Ted (or Edward); Mr. Frampton; 'The Colonel' (or Jack); Chocolate; Tom (poss. Tom Taylor); George; Harry; Nobby; Bob; "Bert Mutton" and a couple of others. Has anyone got any more info. about Arthur Gooch, and/or his workmates. I know nothing about the running of Kings Cross in the 40s, but is it possible that Gooch was a serviceman seconded to Kings Cross: I ask this because some of the images feature men dressed in uniform.