Thirsk Town Old Station

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

lnerjp
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Thirsk Town Old Station

Post by lnerjp »

Hi Chaps

I'm looking for information on Thirsk Town Old Station (The one that was used as a goods deport). Can anyone please point me in the direction of any drawings, plans, magazine articles?

Cheers
J.P.
J.P. Venus
watcheronthebridge

Re: Thirsk Town Old Station

Post by watcheronthebridge »

The Disused Stations site has this entry which may be useful.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I'd hesitate to rely on anything written by somebody who thinks that GNER was a nineteenth century railway company. The howling error isn't there just once in that linked article, it is a consistent failing.......
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Danby Wiske
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Danby Wiske »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:I'd hesitate to rely on anything written by somebody who thinks that GNER was a nineteenth century railway company.
It's all a matter of abbreviation - GNER used to be an acceptable term for the Great North of England Railway before the more recent franchise came into existence...
watcheronthebridge

Post by watcheronthebridge »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:I'd hesitate to rely on anything written by somebody who thinks that GNER was a nineteenth century railway company. The howling error isn't there just once in that linked article, it is a consistent failing.......
No error there, not even a howling one. In 1841 there was indeed a Great North of England Railway (GNER) which by way of amalgamations and combinations with other companies became part of the North Eastern Railway in 1854. The GNER was founded in 1836 with the aim of building a main line from York to Newcastle but eventually only built the York to Darlington Bank Top section (and the branch from that line into Thirsk Town) all of which were completed in 1841.
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Here are the 2 sheets of the Line Diagram dated around 1914
Attachments
Thirsk Town Branch Sheet 1-2
Thirsk Town Branch Sheet 1-2
Thirsk Town Branch Sheet 2-2
Thirsk Town Branch Sheet 2-2
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

I must admit when im referring to the Great North of England Railway in correspondence I insert a lower case of between the E and R to distinguish between the two companies as per GN of ER.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

I'm sure that I've seen pictures of bricks (and possibly even an original somewhere) stamped GNER, and I'm reasonably sure that Sea Containers, even in their first flush of optimism, wouldn't have paid for that!
lnerjp

Post by lnerjp »

Here are the 2 sheets of the Line Diagram dated around 1914

Absolutly brilliant Bryan, that's that bit sorted, now I need arcitectual drawings of the buildings. Are them drawings kept in the archive at Pickering by any chance?

Cheers
J.P.
J.P. Venus
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

I do not know if any drawings of the Branch are kept at Pickering you would need to ask the archivist.
I will see if I can find his email address.
The Line diagrams I posted are part of my collection and are all I have on the branch.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Oooops! In future I must engage brain before opening mouth.......
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
tomburnham
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by tomburnham »

There is a photograph of Thirsk Town Station, looking east and showing the original shed and the 1848 carriage/goods addition of 1848, in A History of North Eastern Railway Architecture Volume 1: The Pioneers by Bill Fawcett and published by the North Eastern Railway Association.
Although there are no accompanying plans or drawings, a brief description confirms that there was little change to the buildings from 1855 until the closure of the goods station in October 1966.

Tom.