Push-pull trains

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Push-pull trains

Post by earlswood nob »

Afternoon all
I am wondering about push-pull trains. I never saw a push-pull in the flesh as it were. The morning and evening service to Dorking and Godstone from Redhill were three coach sets, which the SECR H class ran round before returning.
I recently acquired a Nucast G6 as part of a job lot I bought, I didn't even realise that Nucast did a G6, but it's quite a nice kit with etched overlays for splashers etc.
I do have a pic in a book of a G6 sandwiched between two push-pull coaches, but I never seen any other pic of a loco with two coaches. Did push-pull fitted locos ever run with two coaches coupled behind the engine?
I apologise for such a trivial question, but I really don't know the answer. I can get a push-pull carriage from Coopercraft and a non-corridor composite would probably make a nice train.
Earlswood Nob
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Push-pull trains

Post by 52D »

EN have a look at Autocars postings the group is restoring an Autocoach to go with the Autocar but are hoping to make it so that the new build G5 can run with it as well. He may have more info and pics which can help you.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Saint Johnstoun »

Provided that the additional coach(es) was (were) 'piped' for auto train operation the loco could operate with more than one coach in push-pull mode. The Blyth trains from memory often had more than one coach for example.
bricam5
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by bricam5 »

I can only post with regard to push and pull operations out of Hull and always worked by G5 engines. Two or three coach sets were the norm and out of Hull, the engine always propelled the coach set. This was because the sets were kept at Walton street carriage sidings and the engine would couple on to the rear and pull them to Paragon station.

The sets were piped for vacuum operated regulator and were dual wired from the drivers seat right through to a bell and bell push in the engine cab. In theory, all operations on the loco ( other than firing ) were controlled by the driver via a system of bell codes.
In practice, this was ignored apart from when I took my push and pull test with an inspector on board :evil: That in itself was a saga. I believe I posted some months ago about being tested with the only P&P fitted G5 without a screw reverser!!
Footplate ex Botanic Gardens & Bradford GN (Bowling)
Yorkshire born & bred
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all
Many thanks for the replies. What better than to get the info on ex-NER workings as its a NER loco that I shall build.
Slow today as it was a late night, and the body doesn't recover as quickly these days. Today's trip to the Bluebell is put off for 24 hours, its easier to get there on a weekend as I can use my OAP pass to go all the way and still catch the first train. I need a lump of coal for the locos I'm building.
Earlswood Nob
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

The Coopercraft push pull is for GER area only (I believe). D&S did a NER clerestory and flat roof versions. Langley did a Clerestory version too. Dave Alexander does the push pull fittings for the G5.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Push Pull units were also used in London to, Finsbury Park to Ally Pally, Finchley to Edgware, there were push pull fitted G5's in and around Stratford and Palace Gates. C12's were also fitted with push pull equipment, plenty to choose from :D

manna

PS, Piccys please EN :mrgreen:
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
ten ten
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by ten ten »

Subject to correction by the experts, and looking at photos, the P P coaches used on the H and B in its last years looks like North Eastern Bain arc roof stock , modified diagram 213 for the driving trailer, and possibly dia 178 all third. Mousa Models used to do etched sides/ends for these, but don't know if they are still available to order.These coaches seem to have been used elsewhere in the NE area.At the risk of inflaming another plastic versus etch discussion,the thought has crossed my mind of using/modifying Ratio Midland suburban sides which have the Bain influence., but need a drawing from NRM to check if it is possible.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

G'day all
No pics yet, Manna, because I haven't started. I have so many projects on the go, that it will take some time to get started. The problem is that I easily get diverted onto something else. When I saw the price that a Golden Arrow Bulleid Leader went for (£696), I got mine out of the box, to see the fivers going up and down the track, but a gear wasn't meshing properly, so I've ended up rebuilding it. I've decided to finish it in Malachite Green, which is probably the colour that it would have carried, if it had been a success. I recently did a genealogy job for a friend, spotted something that referred to a branch of my family, and am quite busy on that as well. I have finally found the baptism of my great-great-grandfather after searching for it for over ten years. Why two out of ten children were baptised eight miles away from the village where his parents and younger siblings were churched remains to be discovered.
The G6/BTP is still in the box, and I haven't purchased any coaches for it yet. When I do start it, I shall publicise it, but from the latest replies to my query, it's not as simple as I thought.
Earlswood Nob
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

John Fozard does NER coaches you may need to scratch build the driving end as hull was mentioned earlier I presume you are doing the North East not Ally Pally etc !!
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I'm afraid John won't be doing any more North Eastern coaches.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... hn-fozard/
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

There's a long forgotten b&w telly programme from 1961 i vaguely recall watching as a youngster called The old pull 'n' push filmed down in your part of the world earlswood nob on the Paddock Wood-Hawkhurst branch.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Afternoon all
The Hawkhurst branch closed in 1961, and I never saw it, I did occasionally visit Tonbridge in those days, but we didn't think of going to the next station, Paddock Wood, where the branch started. The branch was very busy during hop-picking time, when trainloads of Londoners would come down to stay for a couple of weeks for a break from the city smog, and earn some money and party the time away.
Earlswood Nob
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all
This place is such a mine of information, that it sometimes surprises me.
I have found a post on the other side from Ian Kirk, which confirms that the (now Coopercraft) Push-Pull driving trailer was from the Epping-Ongar line.
It looks like I'll have to go for the Langley models NER clerestory driving trailer, when I pluck up the courage to try etched brass kit construction.
Thanks again for all the info.
Earlswood Nob
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

I can supply the coach etches for the Hull sets, (NER D.213 BT + 146 C); the GC Glossop/Oldham sets ( 12 wheeler + LS third) and GC clerestory sets( BT + locker composite)