Battery Boxes on NER Coaches

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

drmditch

Battery Boxes on NER Coaches

Post by drmditch »

I've just resumed a project building/converting an NER 52ft Clerestory to Dia 94a, which is an eight compartment third. My previous versions of these coaches have represented the original gas-lit condition. The current one is to be in late LNER livery, when it would have been converted to electric lighting. I've failed to find a picture or a diagram of a real vehicle which shows the position of the battery boxes. The nearest I've found is of the one of the low roof vehicles, in which the battery boxes are appear to be offset towards the left of the vehicle rather than in the centre as with an LNER built 52ft non-vestibule coach.

I would be very grateful if anyone could advise me.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Battery Boxes on NER Coaches

Post by JASd17 »

These carriages were latterly NER Diagram 14.

I am not sure how many were converted to electric lighting. Probably less than one might imagine. They were withdrawn from the late 1940s onwards.

John
Trestrol
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Trestrol »

Having recently looked at a 52' 1922 built NER coach the battery boxes were diagonally opposite each other next to the bogies on the right as tou face each side. One was large and one was small. I have seen other pictures where they are on the left as you face the coach as well. Attached is a picture of the small box.
Attachments
027.JPG
Last edited by Trestrol on Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Thank you very much for the replies. I will try to copy the picture.
The Diagram 94a comes from NER Diagrams of 1897 (as republished by NERA) , but has no reference in North Eastern Record Vol2. There the 52ft Clerestory Third is indeed Dia14.
There is a picture of this (or a similar) vehicle in Harris, where it is apparently being used in 1947 as a strengthening vehicle on a Middlesbrough-Newcastle train of LNER vestibule coaches.

Would it be possible to ask where the coach in Trestrol's picture is?
Wavey
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by Wavey »

It is from 1922 Dia 204 Open First 2118 (LNER 22118) on Great Central Railway.
Picture of battery box on other side.
Attachments
CIMG3286.JPG
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Thank you for the picture. Going through the NERA re-prints of NER Passenger Train Vehicles (Vol 4) I've found one diagram showing battery boxes. It's one of the flat-sided matchboard vehicles , marked as being Diagram 184 and converted 1937. It clearly shows larger boxes on one side.