GCR Bogie Fish vans

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

GCR Bogie Fish vans

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all
I remember there being an etched kit of the famous GCR Bogie Fish Van, but it doesn't seem to be available any more.
Is there a drawing available, as I fancy building one from plasticard?
I think a plasticard shell with strip outside to represent the planking/frame might make a look alike.
It's something I could attempt at the coffee table whilst watching the Ashes cricket.
It seems only 24 were built, and they were never marshalled in a complete train, unlike the GCR advertising.
The ratio of models to originals must be one of highest of rolling stock items. Silver Jubilee and Coronation sets spring to mind, but no others.
Earlswood nob
PS Still thinking about Peter K's beautiful clerestories
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: GCR Bogie Fish vans

Post by jwealleans »

No drawing in Tatlow but main dimensions and some very good photographs. These went into parcels use under the LNER and had the louvres boarded over from the inside; there's a picture of one in the recent Steve Banks book in this condition.

This is the kit:

This is the R & E Models kit which used to be available through Brassmasters. I discovered recently that there was a WSM kit which I have never seen. Steve Banks covered this kit in one of his articles in the Modeller and said there were dimensional errors with it but I don't recall how detailed his coverage was.
Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

I have a built WSM version I can post some pictures if needed. Perhaps Isinglass has a drawing.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

duff post
Last edited by mick b on Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
2512silverfox

Post by 2512silverfox »

The only drawing of which I am aware was that by T W Roche in his album of wagon drawings published by Ian Allan in the 60s. Not able to confirm the accuracy but I think it must be fairly accurate unlike some of the other Roche drawings.

WSM did do a kit but I think this was of the LNER version rather than as originally built.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

G'day all
WOW what quick and informative replies!
One could almost work from JW's pic instead of a drawing.
I have just got back from a 90min walk across the countryside, and I've been thinkings about constructing angled louvres for the top half of the sides, and from JW's pic it looks like they were parallel pieces of wood. I'll have to bin my idea on angled-louvres.
The mention of Peter Tatlow's book, is also interesting, is it in vol 4A? I don't think I can justify buying all the volumes.
Thanks everyone
Earlswood nob
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

earlswood nob wrote:Good morning all
It seems only 24 were built, and they were never marshalled in a complete train, unlike the GCR advertising.
There were 25 built. The first 17, at least, were built with louvres, instead of slatted planks and had Fox bogies. Two were fitted with end doors for aeroplane traffic.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Hello everyone
Thanks a lot Bill, I hope I'm right in saying that the first 17 were built by the Birmingham Carriage & Wagon company, and the rest at Gorton (or Dukenfield?).
The louvres point is interesting, as are the Fox bogies. I think it will be better looking with louvres, as with slatted planks, it looks similiar to the GWR Siphons.
I'm collecting so much information already, I shall to have a go at it, as soon as possible.
Earlswood Nob
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

This wagon is covered in Volume 1 of the new Tatlow. I wonder if he's confused records or there are discrepancies as he shows 16 built to what became one LNER diagram and a further 25 to another.

I can't locate that photo of the one in parcels service now - anyone else seen it?
auldreekie
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by auldreekie »

Looks a super prototype for a bit of styrene-based modelling. Or are you contemplating something of a more "engineering" kind?

I once knocked-up a 4mm representation of a couple of Londonderry and Lough Swilly NG bogie fish-vans, which are vaguely reminiscent, but in those the louvres predominated much less, and you could just about get away with representing them using heavily-"skrawked" styrene sheet.

Looking forward to seeing what you achieve with the GCR jobs.

auldreekie
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Afternoon all
Thanks for that JW, I shall have a look for that volume, it is advertised as covering the Southern area, so is probably suited to my interests.
I am a "sucker" for books, I have bookcases everywhere and needing more.
Earlswood nob
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

The LNER replaced the louvres with slats, don't know exactly when. They also seem to have changed the ends by adding extra bracing if this chap has his research correct and I have no reason to doubt that he has.
UpDistant
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by UpDistant »

EN

I have the Roche drawing mentioned by SilverFox. PM me if you would like a scanned copy.

Up Distant
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

WSM version
12.jpg
13.jpg
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

G'day people
Thanks for the pic of the end, Mick, which shows the hooded louvres.
I am visiting the big city tomorrow, and with luck I can find a few bits I need to make a start.
Earlswood nob