NEEPSEND DRIVER FRED BAGLEY

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

philj
NER Y7 0-4-0T

NEEPSEND DRIVER FRED BAGLEY

Post by philj »

My wife's father died when she was only 6 months old and as she was brought up in various children's homes in Sheffield. She never knew anything at all about her father's side of the family. Recent research has found her grandfather was Driver Fred Bagley of Neepsend shed Sheffield. On 13 December 1926 he was the Driver of ex. GNR locomotive 4-4-2 No. 3280 that collided with two other trains whilst working the 'Paddy Mail' from Sheffield Victoria to Orgreave and two other pits. Although there were almost 800 miners on board his train, there were only minor injuries.
I have worked for over 40 years in the rail industry, so quite keen to build up a record of my wife's (unknown to her until now) grandfather. Any information would be much appreciated such as concerning Neepsend shed (he lived in the near by Douglas Road GCR housing), the allocated locos in the 1920's, the likely workings (I presume 'Woodhead' would have been one?) and on the 1926 accident at Orgreave (I've seen the Investigation Report). If fact any related information would be much appreciated. I presume 'Fred' may have been in a higher link with having a decent loco and an important passenger working!!

Thank you very much

Phil Johnson
Boris
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: NEEPSEND DRIVER FRED BAGLEY

Post by Boris »

Did you wife have any brothers or other relatives with he same name I.m sure there was a Bagley at Darnall
EX DARNALL 39B FIREMAN 1947-55