New P2 to be named 'Prince of Wales'

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

New P2 to be named 'Prince of Wales'

Post by richard »

PRESS RELEASE

NEW STEAM LOCOMOTIVE TO BE NAMED ‘PRINCE OF WALES’

In honour of Prince Charles’s 65th Birthday, Britain’s most powerful steam locomotive is to be named after the heir to the throne
Doctored photo of the original No. 2001, representing what the final No. 2007 'Prince of Wales' will look like.
Doctored photo of the original No. 2001, representing what the final No. 2007 'Prince of Wales' will look like.
The P2 Steam Locomotive Company (P2SLC), the builder of Britain’s most powerful steam locomotive, is delighted to announce that the name of its new Gresley class P2 2-8-2 steam locomotive will be ‘Prince of Wales’. The new steam locomotive is being named in honour of HRH Prince Charles, The Prince of Wales, to coincide with his 65th birthday celebrations and The Queen has kindly approved the use of His Royal Highness’s name for the locomotive.

The P2 Steam Locomotive Company is a subsidiary of The A1 Steam Locomotive Trust (a registered charity), the builders and operators of No. 60163 Tornado, the world-famous new steam locomotive completed in 2008 and officially named by HRH The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall at York station on 19th February 2009.

The mission of the P2SLC is to develop, build and operate an improved Gresley class P2 steam locomotive for main line and heritage railway use. These 2-8-2 locomotives were the most powerful express passenger locomotives to operate in the UK, designed by Sir Nigel Gresley to haul 600 ton trains on the arduous Edinburgh to Aberdeen route. Sadly the design was never fully developed and they were rebuilt in 1943/4. The P2SLC is building the 7th member of this class and will demonstrate how the design can be fully realised through use of modern computer design and modelling techniques, enabling it to deliver its full potential hauling passenger trains at high speed across the national network. It is estimated that £5m will be needed to build No. 2007 over 7-10 years, with funds being raised through public subscription. The formal launch of the project will take place in February 2014.

There have been many steam locomotives named after The Prince of Wales over the years. These included Gresley class A3 No. 2553 (later No. 60054) Prince of Wales, sister locomotive to No. 4472 Flying Scotsman, which was named by HRH The Prince of Wales (later King Edward VIII) on a visit to Doncaster Works on 11th November 1926. This locomotive was scrapped in 1964.

Mark Allatt, Chairman, The P2 Steam Locomotive Company, commented:

“HRH The Prince of Wales has been a fantastic supporter Tornado and along with HRH The Duchess of Cornwall formally named the new locomotive in 2009. Since then, Tornado has hauled the Royal train on no less than three occasions on behalf of Prince Charles, so we are only too delighted to be able to confirm the name for No.2007 in his honour. It is well known HRH has a passion for our heritage and a particular interest in steam, but also the skills and craftsmanship required to build a steam locomotive from scratch. It is a clear demonstration that the UK can still turn its hand to quality heavy engineering, making use of modern techniques design and construction techniques whilst engaging and inspiring a new generation that nothing is beyond the realms of possibility.”

For more information about the P2 Project and details on how you can join The Founders Club, please visit http://www.p2steam.com
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: New P2 to be named 'Prince of Wales'

Post by Tom F »

Hmmmm not what I was expecting if I'm honest. Think it will take some getting used to.
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
lar1976
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by lar1976 »

Not Sir Sean Connery? Surely they're mistaken and should be calling it Bonnie prince?
LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by LNER4479 »

Phew! I've been 'sat' on this news for nearly 12 months so it's a relief for it to be out in the open.

You'll get used to it Tom, it's a traditional LNER name after all.
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
Mercator II
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Mercator II »

Well off my radar that choice, will make going out with the merch' team sound weird "off out for the day with a Prince Charles"

oOo

Brian
oOo

Brian

Garage Hobbit!!
Modelling in 00 on my heritage line, very GCR inspired
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Very tame effort and not in keeping with the remainder of the P2 class.
will5210
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by will5210 »

I wasn't sure at first but I quite like it now. I'm sure 'Tornado' sounded quite odd at first
Will

My LNER 1930s West Highland Workbench
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9293

My Blog
http://westhighlandmodelling.wordpress.com/
Iron Duke

Post by Iron Duke »

Not a bad choice, when is he 65?

Will the locomotive qualify for a winter fuel allowance? :wink:

ID
Andy W

Post by Andy W »

Today mate, hence the fuss.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

will: Yes it did, and some enthusiasts were metaphorically spitting blood that an LNER Pacific wasn't being named after a racehorse - of course lots of Gresley Pacifics were not named after racehorses!
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
mr B
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by mr B »

patronising and grovelling at its best , and if royal approval is granted - it gets to carry the coat of arms :wink:

mr B
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Yep, stick it on a tender axle.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

As an enthusiast for true LNER tradition the name certainly came as something of a disappointing surprise to me, but on reflection I suppose it may give the loco a popular brand image amongst the uninformed. Some of the heirs to the throne over the years have at least shown great interest in horse racing, so the connection between LNER express locos and race horses is at least tenuously present.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
lar1976
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by lar1976 »

Still a dissapointment, of course it will bring wider media coverage but it's made me feel meh! It should be something stirring or related to previous P2s. I shall now bow and take my cap off as I back away from his royalness!
Thane_of_Fife
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Thane_of_Fife »

A bit of an anti-climax :( It's a pity 'Duke of Rothesay' was used by a Thompson A2/1 as as well as carrying on the tradition of re-using ex NBR C11 names it's also Chuck's official title in Scotland.