High Dyke Branch

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Andy@34F
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Re: High Dyke Branch

Post by Andy@34F »

DaveF wrote:I always dislike writing anything which contradicts something written by another member, but feel that in this instance it is justified, I hope Andy@34F won't mind.

David
David,

No offence taken about your comment.

Thank you for the explanation. I only know the road from the 1970s onwards too. At least it explains why the short stub at the top of Woolsthorpe village is like it is and the road continues on the course it does to the crossroads.

Meanwhile...

Regards,
Andy
Attachments
Pendennis Castle... Stainby or Market Overton?<br /><br />The gentleman standing at the rear of the group wearing the wellies and flat cap is my late grandad - George Chantry. Is anyone able to identify any of the others please?
Pendennis Castle... Stainby or Market Overton?

The gentleman standing at the rear of the group wearing the wellies and flat cap is my late grandad - George Chantry. Is anyone able to identify any of the others please?
DaveF
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by DaveF »

Andy,

Your photo of Pendennis Castle was taken at Market Overton.

The photo below shows the same brick building with the louvered "window". The faint shadow on your photo above that is all you can see of the "Atcost" shed, it never shows up well in black and white images.

I don't recognise any of the people, it may have been a visit by a railway society or by some local railwaymen, retired and still working. I know there were a number of such visits. I don't have a photo of the visit which probably means that Dad remained in his office at the Sewstern works which he managed post British Steel, he would normally have been there as most visits by groups were to both Market Overton and Sewstern.

As far as I can tell Pendennis Castle is not in steam - for visits she was normally pulled out of the shed by the resident ex BR 03 D2381. She was normally only steamed when she was going to be used on a train over the ex British Steel lines.
t Market Overton Andrew Barclay 0-4-0CT Glenfield No 1 July 74 C1675.jpg
David
You may enjoy my photos which have now moved to flickr from the sadly missed fotopic.

They can be found at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidwf2009/
Andy@34F
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by Andy@34F »

David,

Thanks for response. With Grandad appearing in the photo there is every chance it was local railwaymen visiting.

I do have a small photo of the 03 diesel and a steam tank engine that were most likely taken the same day. As usual the shots are undated.

Regards,
Andy
Attachments
MO0001.jpg
1whitemoor
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by 1whitemoor »

Hi All,

Apologies for dragging this thread back from the depths, but as some of the links on previous pages are no longer working and I am currently researching the High Dyke Branch and have a query if anyone is able to help out:

Does anyone have the layout and/or lever diagram for Skillington Road box please? We are in possession of the lever plates from this box and would like to know what each of these plates controlled and interpret them in a museum setting.

Unfortunately I am unable to PM anyone directly (though I understand I can reply via PM once a conversation is initiated by another user) due to my new membership to the forum.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Paul A.
R. pike
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by R. pike »

Skillington Road(1).jpg