Railways around Thirsk Prewar (1933-1939)

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Railways around Thirsk Prewar (1933-1939)

Post by Tom F »

Morning all
As I've hinted at elsewhere, I'm very much interested in information regarding Thirsk Station in the period mentioned, 1933-1939. This period includes the quadrupling north and south of the station, but before the station was widened to four tracks in 1943.

I have the WTT for this period, plus on order, a copy of the track diagram from the NRM which should be with me by the end of the month.
Any information about the station in this period would be very much appreciated. I know there was a cattle dock and loading dock on the western side of the station.

Cheers
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Thirsk Station Prewar (1933-1939)

Post by Bryan »

If they are of interest, while not being actually of Thirsk on the ECML.
I do have copies of the 1913 line diagrams of the Thirsk Town Branch.
Melmerby and Thirsk branch and Thirsk and Malton.

An example of which is shown below.
As can be seen this does show 4 tracks through the bridge under the Thirsk Town Branch.
Attachments
Thirsk Twn 1 a.jpg
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

That's very kind of you Bryan, sadly it's the area from the A61 road bridge northwards that I'm after information on.

Cheers
Tom Foster
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Anytime.
I don't have any of the ECML but do have a lot of other branches.
The NERA may have copies the same as this of the ECML available as I believe that they do have a near full set of the NER Diagrams.
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

2750 wrote:Morning all
As I've hinted at elsewhere, I'm very much interested in information regarding Thirsk Station in the period mentioned, 1933-1939. This period includes the quadrupling north and south of the station, but before the station was widened to four tracks in 1943.

I have the WTT for this period, plus on order, a copy of the track diagram from the NRM which should be with me by the end of the month.
Any information about the station in this period would be very much appreciated. I know there was a cattle dock and loading dock on the western side of the station.

Cheers
If you are able to get to the PRO at Kew they have some material on Thirsk including a small collection of photo's of the early colour light signalling there and photo's of the quadrupling works. I used to own the single line staff for the Thirsk Town branch but sold it a few years ago and sadly never took a photo.
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

Bryan wrote:If they are of interest, while not being actually of Thirsk on the ECML.

As can be seen this does show 4 tracks through the bridge under the Thirsk Town Branch.
Bryan, can I be audacious and ask you whether you have a line plan for the Leamside? I am constructing it in the Trainz 2012 rail simulator but decent photographs are few and far between.
http://www.ipernity.com/doc/pinzac55/29325447
http://www.ipernity.com/doc/pinzac55/29325443
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

PinzaC55 wrote:
2750 wrote:Morning all

Cheers
If you are able to get to the PRO at Kew they have some material on Thirsk including a small collection of photo's of the early colour light signalling there and photo's of the quadrupling works. I used to own the single line staff for the Thirsk Town branch but sold it a few years ago and sadly never took a photo.
Hi Pinza

Funny you should mention that, I contacted Kew over some signalling diagrams of Thirsk from 1942 in early December. I just had a reply to night saying, 'Having carefully considered your request we have decided that it is beyond the scope of our record copying service due to its size, nature or condition. Our image library department may undertake work of this nature and provides high resolution publication quality images of various sizes; you can contact them by email: images@nationalarchives.gov.uk'

That might be my next attempt. I doubt I will get to Kew in person though.
Tom Foster
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

To be fair to Kew, I used to visit them in the early 90's and in those days nothing was done by computer. The catalogues alone for the MT6 files which contained the signalling diagrams ran to about 3 four inch thick volumes and in the case of one plan (Newcastle 1895) it opened out to 11 feet by 3! Its worth it if you can spend a day there as the catalogues are alphabetically arranged. They also have the LNER Minute Books which are fascinating but enormous and would take about a year to read as they are hand written.
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

PinzaC55 wrote: Its worth it if you can spend a day there as the catalogues are alphabetically arranged. They also have the LNER Minute Books which are fascinating but enormous and would take about a year to read as they are hand written.
Aye, I'm sure it is, but due to my work commitments living up in the Dales, I doubt I would get down to the capital (only been twice before).
I'll see if the image library of theirs can do me some photographs.

I am going to the KH Study Centre on Tuesday, which should hopefully have some information.
Tom Foster
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

PinzaC55 wrote:
Bryan wrote:If they are of interest, while not being actually of Thirsk on the ECML.

Bryan, can I be audacious and ask you whether you have a line plan for the Leamside? I am constructing it in the Trainz 2012 rail simulator but decent photographs are few and far between.
http://www.ipernity.com/doc/pinzac55/29325447
http://www.ipernity.com/doc/pinzac55/29325443
Not the Leamside or the line back to Stockton but do have most of the Leeds Northern including the connection to the Leamside at the Northern end. It is fairly well used, annotated and creased but shows the junction East of Pelaw on one sheet or the Boldon junctions on another with the Pontop Crossing.
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Evening all
I've been to the Ken Hoole Study Centre, but sadly all photos were post war, apart from two dating from around the turn of the 20th Century, nothing from the period I'm interested in (1933-1939).

I've seen a photo from the Armstrong Trust taken at the North end of the station in 1938/1939, found on flickr and Time Capsule website.
http://www.time-capsules.co.uk/picture/number3663.asp

I'm trying to make some contacts about more photographs, that is the main thing I'm lacking at the moment.
Tom Foster
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Hi Tom,

The leading BG suggests 1939 to me, but I am not certain.

Very characterful colour light signalling.

Do you have to refine your dates even further? There were major changes in stock and motive power over the 7 years you are interested in. Especially in the top express services. But also in the NE Area A-link sets.

John
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

JASd17 wrote: Do you have to refine your dates even further? There were major changes in stock and motive power over the 7 years you are interested in. Especially in the top express services. But also in the NE Area A-link sets.

John
Hi John
Do you mean cover a larger period, say 1935-1939. It could be done, but would grate with me having say Silver Link in silver, running with Seagull, which wasn't built until 1938.

I know one chap who is modelling a week....makes my 3 months look epic! :lol:

I should be receiving my station plans from the NRM in the next coming weeks.
Tom Foster
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Another email sent to someone associated with the Armstrong Trust.
Apart from them, it seems to be a complete vacuum regarding photos of Thirsk pre war.

I'm not giving up yet!
Tom Foster
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Linked to my on going research.
Would anyone know where Stirkes Siding was situated at Thirsk?
There is, what appears to be a pick up goods from Starbeck to Thirsk that terminated a Thirs, and it say Stirkes Sidings.

By looking at the WTT it doesn't appear to be on the Thirsk Town line that the goods terminates.
Tom Foster