Finsbury Park Station - 1930's (before New Works Programme)

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

swhite01
NER J27 0-6-0

Re: Finsbury Park Station - 1930's (before New Works Program

Post by swhite01 »

I'm glad the images are of use. I took many more so if there are some details missing I may be able to find them on the others not included in the set.

StevieG, this is the plan I brought to the GNRS Spring Meeting, nice to see it is now of use!

I have been watching a number of threads on the Forum (southern GN based) over Christmas and it has been nice to put some box names to locations on the plan.

Steve
Kings Cross
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Kings Cross »

Steve.
The Green Engine wrote:Steve,

That's a gold mine of info. Thank you so much. Cheers. Matt
Well Steve you're absolutely brilliant. This is just the kind of information i need to make my scale drawings before putting everything into 3D. Cheers.
Dirk
Kings Cross
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Kings Cross »

When i study the map of Finsbury Park on the photo's of Steve one thing puzzles me.

I understand the 2 squares with crosses in them on platform 3&4 and on platform 5&6 which are the lifts from the platform to the milk traffic subway.

What i do not understand is the same sort of squares with crosses between the southern platform buildings and the stairs on platforms 1-6. Does anyone have a clue what they represent?
Dirk
swhite01
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by swhite01 »

Dirk,
I have viewed a number of other GNR Finsbury Park plans this morning and each show the object you describe as shown on my version. On one copy it shows a dotted line to the stairs and I would presume these were lift shafts, if not for the public for goods transfer? (The plan I photographed, which is in my possession, is slightly more detailed.)

The plans viewed were in relation to the underground works and widening of the lines and of the 1899/1902 to 1911 era. (The plans are included on the Great Northern Railway Society ( GNRS) Archive disks No's 2 and 6)

Steve
The Green Engine
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by The Green Engine »

Evening All,

Here goes then... A draft track plan in need of refinement and a few compromises and space savers. Track is Peco streamline template.

Obviously running lines are down in number, and the plan has been compressed on both the down and the up side. At least one of the double slips is also a compromise and the coal yard has moved. I reckon that I have space for platforms of about 2m so I am very lucky to have the space. Each square on the grid is 10cm.

Once done, there will be a fiddle yard and allow for continuous running to satisfy my inner seven year old.

Tramway is a possibility and would run from the bottom right to top left, but will require the seven sisters road to be doglegged to suit. All pointers and ideas gratefully received. I have promised my wife this will be the last effort at woodwork so I really need to get it right this time.

Two questions.

1. Is the fly over possible (I think not) but would be a fantastic scenic break.
2. Could carriage sidings be added (I think so).

Thoughts appreciated.

Matt
Attachments
Finsbury v1.png
The Green Engine
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Good Morning All,

Here is an updated track plan which I will stare at for a while to try and work out the possible problems and downfalls....

At the moment there is no cross over between up and down which is one point I need to give some thought to.

I am reasonably pleased with it and access and reach should be OK with some clever design.

As always, comments welcome.

Matt
Attachments
LYNDHURST 5.png
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

You may well need a Down/Up crossover for practical purposes of your own Matt, but, for what it's worth, pre-1970s resignalling, and I'm fairly sure, as far back as at least the 1930s, the prototype had no such connection facility at main line level (one may well have existed in much earlier times). This facility being nearest available at, on the main line, Holloway (north; top of the bank from King's Cross) and Harringay, and alternatively on the Canonbury and 'Northern Heights' 'branches', at signal boxes Nos. 1 and 7 respectively.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

IIRC, suburban ECS used the 'ramp' to access the Northern Heights branch to Finsbury Park No 7, were they ran round there trains then dropped back down to platform 1 or 2 then pushed there trains back in to coach sidings, or reversed across the bridge from FP No 7 to platforms 1 or 2 and then ran around there trains.

I know in diesel days when the Northern Heights branch had been closed , we used a dead end siding at Hornsey, to access Harringay flyover, so that we could get back to Finsbury Park CS.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
The Green Engine
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Good evening all

Thanks for the replies. Fwiw the purpose of any crossover would be purely practical and I think, with some adjustment, that can be achieved outside of the scenic sections.

Pleased I think with the overall look and feel and the next stage will be to turn my attention to bench work.

Still some time for a few changes of mind before track goes down.

I hate carpentry!

Best

M
The Green Engine
GNR J52 0-6-0T

In displacement activity from biting the bullet and ordering wood, I have been working on some rolling stock, renumbers and a bit of research.

In the course of research I found these which are a fascinating insight:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/warsaw194 ... 005913574/

Best

M
The Green Engine
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Evening All,

After a bit of procrastination, the first main frames are in place for the layout.

The underground will sit under the tramway with the LNER station at the top level. There will be some comprimises but I am hoping to catch the atmosphere well.

Comments welcome, but I should actually make the reach ok with a step.

Best wishes

Matt
Attachments
IMG_2117.jpeg
IMG_2117.jpeg (15.64 KiB) Viewed 7132 times
IMG_2116.jpeg
IMG_2116.jpeg (20.75 KiB) Viewed 7132 times
IMG_2120.jpeg
IMG_2120.jpeg (17.96 KiB) Viewed 7132 times
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

manna, on Jan.19th 2014, wrote: " G'Day Gents

IIRC, suburban ECS used the 'ramp' to access the Northern Heights branch to Finsbury Park No 7, were they ran round there trains then dropped back down to platform 1 or 2 then pushed there trains back in to coach sidings, or reversed across the bridge from FP No 7 to platforms 1 or 2 and then ran around there trains. .... "
manna
I see I missed picking up on one point when this was a fresh post, manna.
I think it must only have been 'reversed across the bridge...', as on no diagram I've ever seen for FP No.7, including an approx.1933 Notice for when the LNER resignalled from FP7 to Highgate with multi-aspect colour-lights and Track Circuit Block, has there been any points shown at No.7 other than the one Down-Up main crossover and the single-ended Down Branch/Up Carriage line, so there was no possibility of running-round there. Presumably once then down in the station, the trains were drawn forward into FP Carriage Sidings.?
Last edited by StevieG on Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

The Green Engine wrote:In displacement activity from biting the bullet and ordering wood, I have been working on some rolling stock, renumbers and a bit of research.

In the course of research I found these which are a fascinating insight:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/warsaw194 ... 005913574/

Best

M
What a collection of images! Thanks very much for providing that link.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
The Green Engine
GNR J52 0-6-0T

A couple of new (poor quality pictures to give an idea of shape and progress.

The idea is to get the underground bedded in and then build upwards from there. I have used the Street level models kit for the Station although this is a draft copy just to get the tempting right.

Best

M
Attachments
IMG_3114.jpeg
IMG_3113.jpeg
IMG_3115.jpeg
IMG_3112.jpeg
The Green Engine
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Re: Finsbury Park Station - 1930's (before New Works Programme)

So while I move things along slowly, here is a proof of concept drawing for the station frontage which I am quite pleased with. The silhouette portrait featured in a recent thread may well be the answer I'm looking for for the windows.
Attachments
Front example.jpg