Cleethorpes to Sidmouth/Exmouth circa 1961/2

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

spamcanphil
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Cleethorpes to Sidmouth/Exmouth circa 1961/2

Post by spamcanphil »

I have accumulated quite a lot of info about this summer timetable SO marathon runner but would really appreciate any actual formation info of the LNER/ER stock used on an actual train (if possible). I've got quite a lot of pics in a Somerset and Dorset volume that I have and a great pic of a SR U1 on the 'return working' (typical loco used on the SR section of the route (to Templecombe). However this is an almost head on shot but is really the train I would like more information about.
If by any chance someone actually saw this train or even travelled on one (who would want to go from Cleethorpes to Devon?), I'd be really grateful for any help.
Typically it tended to be made up of 'allsorts' and I have one pic of a Thompson Suburban Lav Composite as the lead coach :lol:
Many thanks.
Phil
Boris
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: Cleethorpes to Sidmouth/Exmouth circa 1961/2

Post by Boris »

Why would anyone from Cleethorpes want to go to Devon.

The only good thing I remember about Cleethorpes was the refreshment room at the end of the platforms sold Mansfield ale.

It was the fireman's job to get in there and get the beers in whilst the driver handed over to the Boston men.

In my case I would order 'three' pints and drink the first whilst waiting for the other two which were on the bar by the time the driver came in.

On really hot days I remember us showering naked under the water column, hidden from passengers on incoming trains by the parked ones already there.

Rest of the day was up to four or five hours of being a visitor, eating Ice Cream, fish and chips,a nap on the beach then another pint of Mansfield before returning to our loco'.

Don't forget that was two day pay and lodging allowance.
EX DARNALL 39B FIREMAN 1947-55
spamcanphil
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by spamcanphil »

Wonderful tale. Glamour days my ****; damn hard work especially for the fireman. The bar is still there but I've yet to use it!
Darnall men took over at Sheffield presumably? I had thought it went via Nottingham and Lincoln? I know very little about it south of Brum and Bath.
Thanks though. Great memories I am sure.
Phil
Boris

Post by Boris »

No these were day excursions to Cleethorpes, weekends or the best were the ones on early closing day in Sheffield where up to five trains left early afternoon and got back in time for the passengers to catch the last tram or bus home, the last one was due in Victoria 10.30 pm
I think the fare was about 5/- or would be 25 pence in modern money.
Usually a K2 or J 39 sometimes a J 11

The other pay packet fillers were the Sat/Sun' fishermen's down the dykes and rivers past Lincoln, again taken off us by Boston men at Boston so we had the same, two days pay and lodging
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Boris wrote:...On really hot days I remember us showering naked under the water column......
Most people shower naked. :lol:
spamcanphil
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by spamcanphil »

Whats naked?
I've seen pics of J11s doing that sort of excursion. Which route did you take on the Lincoln as I think I've seen some going through Tuxford and over the Trent at Fledborough.
Phil
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

That may be true Horsetan, but most of us do that at home, not in the middle of the carriage sidings :D :D

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Boris

Post by Boris »

Thanks Manna, and in answer to Spam???

Route was Sheffield Vic' start about 03:30 after the Cleethorpes Mail had left at 03:15 times because that had un-advertised stop at Kiveton Park to drop newspapers, then via Worksop, Retford, Leverton, {Not Gainsborough]Cottam, Torksey, Saxilby, avoid Lincoln then follow the River Witham all the way stopping to drop off at all stations after the Lincoln avoidance.
Set off back from Boston about 17:30 ish
Last edited by Boris on Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
robertcwp

Post by robertcwp »

From the WR 1961 Summer carriage workings:

I believe that this working wasn't so much intended as a through working for the passengers but more a way of making use of the stock by linking a holiday train from the South West to the Midlands with one from the Midlands to Cleethorpes.

The actual stock might have varied from what was listed but the workings give a guide to the intended formation, as shown here:
Image3210_53806_nrSheptonMallet 1042-Exmouth-Cleethorpes 12-8-61 by robertcwp, on Flickr
John Palmer
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by John Palmer »

Bet they cussed the inclusion of that Lavatory Composite! Without it, the Seven would have taken ten vehicles over Masbury without need of a pilot.
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

Boris wrote:No these were day excursions to Cleethorpes, weekends or the best were the ones on early closing day in Sheffield where up to five trains left early afternoon and got back in time for the passengers to catch the last tram or bus home, the last one was due in Victoria 10.30 pm
I think the fare was about 5/- or would be 25 pence in modern money.
Usually a K2 or J 39 sometimes a J 11

The other pay packet fillers were the Sat/Sun' fishermen's down the dykes and rivers past Lincoln, again taken off us by Boston men at Boston so we had the same, two days pay and lodging
Directors were used on some of the Sheffield trains.

For instance on June 15th 1958 62665 arrived Cleethorpes at 11:20 with the service from Sheffield.
And 62669 at 1335 with an excursion from Darnall.

On the following Sunday, June 22nd 62664 was on the Sheffield train, and another Darnall excursion arrived at 1220 behind 62668.

Of interest also that day, was 73165 on a train from Swinton, 62669 from Mansfield, 61478 on an excursion from Harrogate, and 62662 on a special from Wadsley Bridge.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
spamcanphil
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by spamcanphil »

Thanks very much chaps, especially robertcwp. Great info.
Phil
spamcanphil
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by spamcanphil »

Bet they cussed the inclusion of that Lavatory Composite! Without it, the Seven would have taken ten vehicles over Masbury without need of a pilot.

Yes, I've seen that photo before and wondered about the single non gangwayed Lav Comp. Now I'm fairly sure it is a Thompson build; I have one of those ready to build and a beauty it is too (The Late John Fozzard's kit).
I've also got a very nice Comet one part built too as one always needs another coach........... :roll:
P
1H was 2E
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by 1H was 2E »

Now I'm not sure if I understood the reference to balance correctly, but......
The Southbound trains run EWD and the previous journey is the previous day. However, the previous working of the Northbound train appears to be a southbound train the previous Saturday and presumably returning the Saturday following. I know that the peak summer stock working (in the early 60's at least, when I noticed) involved sets spending most of the year in sidings - often at out-of-the way stations - but it still seems surprising. It's also curious that the Southbound service was EWD but the Northbound SO - or am I missing something?
spamcanphil
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by spamcanphil »

1H was 2E. The Cleethorpes was SO and only for about 10 weeks during July August and September.
I'm fairly sure the westbound ER set spent the week unused in Devon as I've seen pics of the stock split and stabled at Tipton St. Johns and one other place I can't remember. I should think the SR set was also just stabled unused during it's week in Cleethorpes?
However, I suspect the ER setup was split and used when it was back up north/east and maybe the SR set was likewise used in the week it was back in the west. This would/could explain the hotchpotch of stock used in both sets? Pics I have never seem to show the same train make up and even when MK1s started to be used I suspect it was different coaches of the same diagram. These long distance holiday trains are a really fascinating bunch.
P