Durham-Bishop Auckland

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

drmditch

Durham-Bishop Auckland

Post by drmditch »

Since I now live next to it, I would to research more about this line. I have the usual general sources (Tomlinson, Hoole etc) and I think that the Line Diagram may be on David Wilkinson's list for NERA future publication. Disused-Stations.org.uk is also helpful. However, I'm sure I've seen some other material published, and would be grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction.

It would also be most interesting to find any pictures/drawings of the now demolished Deerness Viaduct (the Bishop Auckland one - not the ECML which now looks very smart in green paint!). It's absence means that there is a very steep slope on the cycle path which may provide excellent cardio-vascular exercise but is a real nuisance when trying to get home after a long ride!

DCC has provided a nice alternative route on the north side of the river, but a nice high-level viaduct would provide a lovely view!
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Durham-Bishop Auckland

Post by jwealleans »

DCC has provided a nice alternative route
You have a DCC pushbike?
tomburnham
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by tomburnham »

Hi,

The North Eastern Railway Association is a valuable source of information and has copies of the line diagrams and many photographs, including a nice colour image of Deerness Viaduct on the Bishop Auckland Branch. Incidentally, this was the second viaduct to be built at this location as the original viaduct, unlike the substantial masonry viaducts at Brasside, Durham and Newton Cap, was of wooden construction. The replacement brick viaduct was built alongside the original structure, on its eastern side, as is evident from photographs taken looking south from Deerness Valley Junction where the line can be seen to deviate to the left over the new viaduct before turning right again to re-join the original alignment.

A PDF file of the Engineering Drawings of the North Eastern Railway/LNER can be downloaded from the National Railway Museum website. I made a quick search of the site but nothing was revealed for 'Deerness Viaduct' but if there is a drawing it could be described as bridge No.? Bishop Auckland-Durham or something similar but with over 300 pages to wade through I will leave that to you!

It is a pity that the viaduct was demolished as I have also struggled up and down the steep slopes with my mountain bike. I would like to know why this one was chosen for destruction when Brasside and Newton Cap were allowed to remain in place. Its not as if it contained valuable metals which could be recycled. Perhaps it was subsidence from underlying mine workings.

Tom.
Member of the North Eastern Railway Association Archive Team

https://ner.org.uk/
markindurham
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by markindurham »

drmditch

Post by drmditch »

markindurham wrote:Is this of interest?
http://www.durham.gov.uk/media/4401/Rai ... Bishop.pdf
Thank you. I think it's been updated since I last looked at it. I tend to rely on the (old?) OS Pathfinder maps.
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

markindurham
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by markindurham »

drmditch wrote:
markindurham wrote:Is this of interest?
http://www.durham.gov.uk/media/4401/Rai ... Bishop.pdf
Thank you. I think it's been updated since I last looked at it. I tend to rely on the (old?) OS Pathfinder maps.
My pleasure 8)

Yes, the whole site appears to have had a makeover. There's guides for many of the Durham railway paths now.
Irishswissernie
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Irishswissernie »

Railway World magazine for December 1962 has a 7 page article by M C Reed on the route.

Ernie