Virtual Exhibition: Marking 50 Years Since the Closure of the Horncastle Railway

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Virtual Exhibition: Marking 50 Years Since the Closure of the Horncastle Railway

Post by richard »

Chris Bates, formerly of the KWVR sent me the following information about an exhibition he has been involved in. Sounds like there might be a physical exhibition in the future, depending on the covid sitation.

Virtual Exhibition:

https://horncastlejbc.info/horncastle-h ... y/railway/

Chris writes:

https://www.therailwayhub.co.uk/59496/v ... ay-closed/
If you follow the above link, it will take you to the section of The Railway Hub website which features in full the Society's* recent media release on the forthcoming virtual exhibition commemorating the closure of the branch line from Woodhall Junction to Woodhall Spa and Horncastle.

The Railway Hub has used the two images from the William Woolhouse Collection bequeathed to the Lincolnshire Coast Light Railway Historic Vehicles Trust and used with their kind permission, together with an illustration of a ticket to Horncastle which recently sold on eBay for £32 and also, an image of the drawing of the station as it was, when opened in 1855 and which is now in the archives of the *Horncastle History and Heritage Society.

The site pulls together information, illustrations and articles from the railway-themed magazines produced in Horncastle by Morton's Media - proof that even 50 yeas after the last train left Horncastle, the railway industry in its widest sense still plays a significant role in the economy of the town.

It will be interesting to see whether The Railway Hub's inclusion of the possibility of a narrow gauge "train" being buried in the old brick pit at the rear of the erstwhile Railway Hotel in North Street, Horncastle, (behind Kemp's hardware shop) creates any further interest.

I'm grateful to everyone who has played a part in helping to prepare this information and who worked on the Wm Woolhouse photos to tidy them up; also the Trustees of the LCLR's Historic Vehicles Trust for their generosity in allowing them to be used.
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Mercator II
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Re: Virtual Exhibition: Marking 50 Years Since the Closure of the Horncastle Railway

Post by Mercator II »

I've slowly been reading this since it went live on Monday, a really fascinating read

There was also ment to be a planned collection of events last year called ELR50 but never came off

https://www.elrevents.co.uk

No updates unfortunately on if/when it's happening

(Edited to add link)
oOo

Brian

Garage Hobbit!!
Modelling in 00 on my heritage line, very GCR inspired
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Virtual Exhibition: Marking 50 Years Since the Closure of the Horncastle Railway

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I'm glad this virtual event was highlighted. I found some of the history both interesting and useful.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.