new Bachmann A4 and B1

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

new Bachmann A4 and B1

Post by Kestrel »

There's a review of Bachmann's new A4, Wild Swan, in the February edition of BRM received today. Whilst it discusses the new chassis, it points out several errors such as:

the fact that it should be BR Blue and not Green as it has Grantham on the buffer beam. It was allocated there between 1948-1950 and didn't go BR green until 1951.

It also has a corridor tender that has been modified to look like a non-corridor type by just removing the corridor connection. All the corridor tender characteristics are still present.

Also there are no lamp brackets, anti skid boards above the cylinders or reversing lever.

There is also criticism of the company's new B1, 61180 with Dundee on the bufferbeam with late BR emblem.
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Re: new Bachmann A4 and B1

Post by Kestrel »

There's another review in the Hornby magazine, out today. Bachmann takes a slating again.
Daddyman
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Daddyman »

Kestrel wrote:There's another review in the Hornby magazine, out today. Bachmann takes a slating again.
What else could they expect?! The A4 sounds simply embarrassing!
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Not surprising re the A4.
Hornby has been miles ahead for a number of years.
Bachmann have done the wrong Loco they should have spent the money on a new V2 before Hornby jump on that one too.
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

If they get slated too much, they will probably pull out of UK based models altogether.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

Ooh, maybe a Hornby V2 for 2013 :mrgreen:
36C - Based out of 50H and 36F
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

strang steel wrote:If they get slated too much, they will probably pull out of UK based models altogether.
Why? I see no reason why they would be so senstive or that naive on recieving criticism.

They are updating two old models with a chassis only. No financial sense in what they have done.
Anybody with any interest in the A4 is aware the Hornby version is superior in all departments.

They as anyone else will get praise for a quality product which this clearly is not .They cannot therefore expect much if any for praise for their latest A4, which falls down in all cosmetic departments even the livery has been done wrong or the latest versions.

They are producing some other excellent products which I am sure are selling well and are praised where deserved.

I have just bought the latest Hornby B1. A two second comparison with the Bachmann version showed it to be streets ahead of the Bachmann version. No offence to the Bachmann version which I understand in 25 years old. Very good for its time but sorry not now. A chassis upgrade is simply not enough for it to sell in front of the Hornby version.
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

I was trying to play Devil's Advocate.

I too have just bought a Hornby 61138, but am too nervous to compare it with the Bachmann versions, in case I might have to change them all.

My point was really going to be, do the 'majority' of the purchasers of an A4 worry about what shed is painted on the bufferbeam? Those who find it a problem can always paint Grantham out, or not buy it at all.

Ok so the manufacturers do not research their liveries to what they may see as 'nerd' status, but how far to extremes will this go? If someone discovers a photo of a particular model with a dent in the tender which it carried with a certain livery and number combination, will the manufacturers be slated for not modelling the dent?

Devil's Advocate remember - so please keep things civil.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

Shed plates don't bother me, but if I have a bachmann A4 and a Hornby A4 on my layout, I try to keep them as far away from each other as possible because I know if I compare them I will not want to run the bachmann A4's. I will be replacing Bittern with Hornby's offering anyway and will use it as a spares ship for 60007 until I can afford the TMC offering.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

strang steel wrote:I was trying to play Devil's Advocate.

I too have just bought a Hornby 61138, but am too nervous to compare it with the Bachmann versions, in case I might have to change them all.

My point was really going to be, do the 'majority' of the purchasers of an A4 worry about what shed is painted on the bufferbeam? Those who find it a problem can always paint Grantham out, or not buy it at all.

Ok so the manufacturers do not research their liveries to what they may see as 'nerd' status, but how far to extremes will this go? If someone discovers a photo of a particular model with a dent in the tender which it carried with a certain livery and number combination, will the manufacturers be slated for not modelling the dent?

Devil's Advocate remember - so please keep things civil.

I think that nowdays most model railway products are bought by people who know within reason what they are looking at.
I have no doubt a shedname would be even noticed by many , neither would they take much notice of the chassis unless they model DCC, but everybody has eyes and the differences in detail will be noticed by the majority especially when they compare prices on some items and what they are getting for a few pounds more in price.
I cannot imagine that there are many people buying a state of the art Loco or whatever model railway item to give to a child, with the result its wrecked within a day due to its fragile detailed condition. Certainly not at the mind blowing prices these items are now being sold for.

Hornby have the right idea by still selling lower detail and therefore more childproof items in the Railroad range. Reasonable prices sell anything within reason.

Bachmann need to put their current A4 ,V2 and to a certain extent the B1 into such a range. I have no idea if there are other items in their range which could also be include in such a new product range as I only pay attention to LNER based items.
60027Merlin
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by 60027Merlin »

mick b wrote:Not surprising re the A4.
Bachmann have done the wrong Loco they should have spent the money on a new V2 before Hornby jump on that one too.
Let's hope Hornby do get round to producing a V2 as Bachmann have obviously no intention of re-tooling the body. The lack of a decent V2 up to present day standards is incomprehensible considering the high number of the class, widespread geographic running area, preserved example in the NRM, potential high sales etc.

As for the Bachmann A4 "non-corridor" tender created by chopping of the corridor end of the corridor tender - Well this is something that was pointed out to them when they introduced the Trix model in the mid 90s. They have done nothing about it since and the first magazine review of the model to point out the harsh reality of this make believe tender has only just come (about 16 years later) from Tony Wright in the latest issue of BRM.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Bachmann pull out of UK model railways? Nah. They've just about cornered the market for small, useful locos. They've seen an area that Hornby don't want to cover particularly well and gone for it. Have a look at any model railway show - the majority of the RTR locos running will be Bachmann. This influences sales.
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

I reckon the majority of bachmann's income is on small 0-6-0's, A1's and Deltics. I think they're doing more than fine! :D
Coboman
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Coboman »

The certainly spanked Hornbys arse over the Std 4mt. Bachmann's looks like a good model, Hornby's looks just rubbish with those horrid plastic wheels.
Its good to know where you stand. Saves making a fool of yourself later......
jukebox
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by jukebox »

mick b wrote:Not surprising re the A4.
Except for those diabolically over-fed boiler bands... :shock:
If a Thompson rebuild is the answer... the question must have been daft to begin with!