Drummond D51 (NBR Class R) 4-4-0T Tank Engines
The D51s were the last passenger tank locomotives designed by Drummond for the North British Railway (NBR). A total of thirty locomotives were built in five batches between 1880 and 1884, including a final batch of six built by Reid.
The D51 tanks were mainly used on the suburban services around Edinburgh and Glasgow, and on the various NBR branch lines. Early on, these also sometimes operated mainline stopping services. Nos. 10456, 10458, 10461, and 10462 were fitted with cowcatchers at both ends when working the Fraserburgh to St. Combs branch.
Withdrawals started at Grouping in 1923, and the last three D51s were withdrawn in 1933.
The following details describe the D51s as they entered LNER ownership, with the Reid boilers.
|Boiler:||Max. Diameter:||3ft 10in|
|Heating Surface:||Total:||666.06 sq.ft.|
|Tubes:||586.10 sq.ft. (142x 1.75in)|
|Grate Area:||13.75 sq.ft.|
|Tractive Effort:||11,170lb||(@ 85% boiler pressure)|
|Total Wheelbase:||17ft 10.5in|
|Engine Weight:||35 tons 4cwt||(full)|
|Max. Axle Load:||12 tons 12cwt|
|Coal Capacity:||~1 ton 13cwt|
|Water Capacity:||655 gallons|
The last three D51s were withdrawn in 1932 and none survived into preservation.
London Road Models sell an etched 4mm scale (OO gauge) kit of the D51.
Twenty four of the D51s carried names, but lost them by about 1884. The names were:
|1st NBR No.||Name|
Thank you to the Mike Morant Collection for the photograph of NBR No. 98.