James Johnson was the son of S.W. Johnson. He was the locomotive
superintendent of the GNSR for only four years, from 1890 to 1894. During this short period, he developed a standard
4-4-0 design (LNER D41) with 6ft 1in coupled wheels.
This design was used for the rest of the GNSR's existence. He also designed a successful 0-4-4T which
became the LNER G10.