Daves C & W Works

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Daves C & W Works

Post by Blink Bonny »

Cor! :D
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Ha you jest Mike...but I did think about it.

The cowls are now as complete as I can be bothered, I started to add the small angles but after fixing the base I stopped far to much work for littke return.

The problem was fixing the baffles so they did not drop off, first lot I used plastic weld, they fell off with handling, made some more, these were stick with super glue with a 1mm thick card strip to get the distance correct from the cowl. If I/when I do some more for my buffet car I will fix them with n/s wire like the cowls/fans.
Attachments
D10C 70 FAN & BAFFLES.JPG
D10C 71.JPG
D10C 72.JPG
MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by MikeTrice »

Dave wrote:Ha you jest Mike...but I did think about it.
For those of you not in the know the end plates of the main vent are perforated which would have been a lifetime's work trying to drill them out in 4mm scale, hence my leg pull. Either way they look the part.

I always assumed one would use brass angle to make the end baffles and superglue them to the ali roof. The downside is they should not be 90 degrees. The other alternative is to extend the base plate into a cross shape so that it protrudes beyond the end plates and glue the baffles to that.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Mike...couple of good ideas there.

I did think of brass but mine is too thick.
ps. my plastic angles are vertical too......ahhhhhhhhh

Anyway onwards and downwards

The first vent pipe fitted, with small turned up end as per prototype.
Attachments
D10C 73 TANK FILLER & VENT PIPE.JPG
D10C 74 TANK FILLER & VENT PIPE.JPG
MikeTrice

Post by MikeTrice »

Dave wrote:ps. my plastic angles are vertical too......ahhhhhhhhh
Vertical is good, they should be.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

The vent pipe has a cover, this was made from some brass tube filed to a half round and mounted in some 10tho strip.
Attachments
D10C 75 VENT COVER.JPG
D10C 76 VENT COVER AND FILLER.JPG
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Corridor tank fillers were made from brass rod and bits of circular plastic collars to suit, they are only a representation .

Toilet tank filler much the same, but I added the chain loop to the top with 5amp fuse wire, as Mike T said he'd never seen it modeled. I will make the chain and connecting ring.

Next came the toilet cistern vent, this is a strange shape, bent at the end. I made it from 0.4 n/s wire with 0.35 dia plastic rod drilled down the centre and cut to form a flat. glued to some 10tho strip to represent the pipe clips, the pic shows this better than my discription.
Attachments
D10C 77 TOILET TANK FILLER.JPG
D10C 78 VENT PIPE CLIPS.JPG
D10C 79 TOILET VENT PIPE.JPG
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Filler and vent fixed.
2 oven vents (in black) added.
Oven vent cover made from brass shim bent round a suitably sized drill, vent pipe cover will be remade this way as I'm not happy with it, second one's are always better.
Attachments
D10C 80 TOILET TANK VENT.JPG
D10C 81 TOILET TANK VENT.JPG
D10C 82 OVEN VENTS.JPG
D10C 83 OVEN VENT COVER.JPG
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

D113 all primed, roof needs a bit of sanding (it was feeling left out).
D10C oven vent cover in place.
Attachments
D113 47 STEAM TRAP.JPG
D113 48.JPG
D113 49.JPG
D10C 84 OVEN VENT COVER FITTED.JPG
MikeTrice

Post by MikeTrice »

Dave wrote:Help wanted....somewhere on this site I seem to remember someone had painted the solebars of their LNER teak carriage with Vallejo acrylics...question, what was that colour.
Not quite an answer to your question, but I took the opportunity this lunchtime to try and do some colour matching.

Based on a colour sample provided many years ago by the LNERCA I can report that Humbrol Matt 62 is a very good match. Humbrol Matt 186 is slightly darker but still close. I guess both are available in acrylic versions.

Regarding Vallejo 70.846 (139) Mahogany is slightly dark but close, 70.940 (138) Saddle Brown is slightly redder but again close. I could not source a sample of their Flat Brown - will try again tomorrow.

The Vallejo colour chart includes some Humbrol -> Vallejo conversions and quotes Humbrol 62 as being Vallejo 70.843 (133) Cork Brown and Hunbrol 186 as Vallejo 70.983 (143) Flat Earth.

So how do they compare with Hornby's solebars? Vallejo 70.846 (139) Mahogany Brown is close, the Hornby shade being slightly redder that my colour sample.

To be honest all these colours are pretty close.

Hope that helps.
MikeTrice

Post by MikeTrice »

It worries me that you did not prime your D10C roof before adding the fittings. This would have shown up any imperfections in the ali to cast end joint. When I have done this in the past I have used a filler (like you) but then used a cellulose body putty (for car bodies) to smooth it out further. I then used Halfords Filler Primer to see how things look. Imperfections can be addrsssed before there are lots of detail fittings (and oh boy have you got detailed fittings) to get in the way.

Fingers crossed you do not have this problem.

Another dodge you could have used was to cover the roof in a wide masking tape to represent canvas or possibly your micropore/superglue combination assuming the micropore is available in a wide enough form. Photographs of Gresley Coach roofs show they are far from even.

For the fan covers I probably would have tried putting the plasticard over the roof and popping in the oven until it melted down onto the roof rather than trying to sand it. Might have saved some work.

Anyway, some stunning work there.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Mike.

Thank you for the trouble you are going too, I wondered if it was Vallejo flat earth, I have alot of those colours you mention, I will test some of them and see.....a bit of weathering also alters the colour.

The roof....funny the filler looks worse in the photo's, and I diid wonder if I had made a cock-up, I will soon find out. It does come in a width that might do a carriage roof.

I did not set out to do so much detail, it's sort of become a monster..let's see if I can do that bit etc etc, a bit like the tube seats I started for a buffet car years ago and the working brake gear.............
MikeTrice

Post by MikeTrice »

Dave wrote:I did not set out to do so much detail, it's sort of become a monster.
Addictive I guess. Must admit you are doing a brilliant job, and all in 4mm scale as well.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Addictive...you bet
MikeTrice

Post by MikeTrice »

Some further feedback relating to paint colours.

First off, the Vallejo 70.843 (133) Cork Brown IMHO is NOT a good match for Humbrol 62 being a noticable shade lighter.

Have aquired a few samples of some of the other Vallejo range and having had an opportunity to examine the colours under good natural light Humbrol Matt 62 is still the closest match to both the original LNERCA colour sample and the colour used by Hornby. This of course is handy for anyone wanting to paint the wheel centres of their Hornby Gresley's.

Also managed to buy some 50mm wide micropore this morning so will experiment with it to see how good it is at representing a canvas finish on the aluminium roof.