Hornby 2020 announcements

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard, Tom F

User avatar
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2
Posts: 853
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:13 am

Re: Hornby 2020 announcements

Post by Kestrel » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:22 pm

R3840 W1 LNER battleship grey 10000
https://www.hattons.co.uk/stockdetail.aspx?SID=513704
R3841 W1 'British Enterprise' in LNER battleship grey 10000 (did not exist)
https://www.hattons.co.uk/stockdetail.aspx?SID=513703
R3842 W1 LNER apple green 10000 (did not exist)
https://www.hattons.co.uk/stockdetail.aspx?SID=513702
R3843 W1 LNER Garter Blue (rebuilt) 10000
https://www.hattons.co.uk/stockdetail.aspx?SID=513701
R3844 W1 LNER BR Green early emblem (rebuilt) 60700
https://www.hattons.co.uk/stockdetail.aspx?SID=513700

https://www.lner.info/locos/W/w1.php

nzpaul
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'
Posts: 338
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:48 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Hornby 2020 announcements

Post by nzpaul » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:37 am

The most interesting thing is the Duchess of Atholl model :shock: advertised as having a die cast body. Not that I want one, but because of the die cast bit. It should prove to be considerably stronger than the plastic bodied equivalent with a decent amount of weight on the drivers. With only 500 available it's unlikely that many will make it out of their Dublo-esque box (shouldn't it be red with gold stripes?...2 rail and all) but I'd be curious to see how they perform compared to the run of the mill version. It would be nice to think it could lead to some more large locos (A3 perhaps..hint hint..) that are appropriately heavy and can handle a good size train without resorting to stuffing lead into the boiler.
Love the W1 but I beat them to it some time ago. The A2's, I don't know if I want one or not, might be tempted if they end up in the bargain bin. As for the rest of it, I'm sure there's loads of people who'll find something they want. I hope H have found a big factory, there's a lot for them to get through.

Cheers
Paul

Paul_sterling
GNSR D40 4-4-0
Posts: 212
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 12:50 pm
Location: Durham

Re: Hornby 2020 announcements

Post by Paul_sterling » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:30 am

nzpaul wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:37 am
The most interesting thing is the Duchess of Atholl model :shock: advertised as having a die cast body. Not that I want one, but because of the die cast bit. It should prove to be considerably stronger than the plastic bodied equivalent with a decent amount of weight on the drivers. With only 500 available it's unlikely that many will make it out of their Dublo-esque box (shouldn't it be red with gold stripes?...2 rail and all) but I'd be curious to see how they perform compared to the run of the mill version. It would be nice to think it could lead to some more large locos (A3 perhaps..hint hint..) that are appropriately heavy and can handle a good size train without resorting to stuffing lead into the boiler.
Love the W1 but I beat them to it some time ago. The A2's, I don't know if I want one or not, might be tempted if they end up in the bargain bin. As for the rest of it, I'm sure there's loads of people who'll find something they want. I hope H have found a big factory, there's a lot for them to get through.

Cheers
Paul
Hi Paul,

Are you sure the model is die cast body, or is it just the faithful period boxing that Hornby are using for their anniversary specials? I'm just a little sceptical that they would retool the brand new duchess model to change to a die-cast body, when the current one is fairly heavy on its own (the loco is circa 350g).

Paul.

Hatfield Shed
LNER P2 2-8-2
Posts: 981
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:34 pm

Re: Hornby 2020 announcements

Post by Hatfield Shed » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:45 am

Paul_sterling wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:30 am
nzpaul wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:37 am
The most interesting thing is the Duchess of Atholl model :shock: advertised as having a die cast body...
Are you sure the model is die cast body...
I too noticed that, and 'die cast body' is listed very specifically in the supporting blurb. (One would hope that for an event such as this the advertising copy received thorough scrutiny before release. However Hornby have been a little wayward in some of their information recently so there is an element of 'let's wait and see' in my mind. It couldn't be that someone copied information off the artwork of whatever original H-D box was used to guide styling of the commemorative issue packaging, could it?)

But it is credible, as Hornby have of late successfully produced several models with this diecast loco body feature. Anyone with their new B12/3 will know how it benefits tractively from this feature: easily the best RTR 4-6-0 for traction now available of those I have sampled; although I have had no opportunity for a trial of either of the monsters, LN and King, as none of my friends have had the poor taste to buy one.

Pennine MC
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'
Posts: 395
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:05 pm

Re: Hornby 2020 announcements

Post by Pennine MC » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:09 pm

Atlantic 3279 wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:19 pm

I suspect that clutch of new LNER heavies represents some of the evidence of Mr Kohler's return to Margate.
Oh, doesn't it just, along with the Coronation Scot stock. New wagons though? Nah, forget it ...

Quicksilver95
LNER N2 0-6-2T
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:24 pm
Location: Leicestershire

Re: Hornby 2020 announcements

Post by Quicksilver95 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:23 pm

Better hope that Coronation Scot stock sells, as it is surely likely we might get a Coronation set off the back of it. It seems odd that Hornby picked the LMS equivalent first given the relative demand of the two sets in the wish list polls. I suppose the advantage of the LMS set is the coaches weren't articulated so can be sold as single cheaper units. However the Coronation set has several advantages to my mind:

1) it is identical (essentially) to the West Riding and spare sets

2) underframe detailing need not be modelled

3) given Hornby's desire to model "famous names" the use of the spare set on 4468's record run would surely work its way into plenty of collector's edition train packs.

Hopefully the LMS set might pave the way for this and remove the horrible prices paid on eBay for the mailcoach kits

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'
Posts: 3568
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:46 am

Re: Hornby 2020 announcements

Post by jwealleans » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:14 pm

...the use of the spare set on 4468's record run
Oh, no, no, no, no, no. I thought we'd put that to bed? Or was that on a different forum?

Definitive photographic evidence exists that the set used was three of the Coronation twins.

Quicksilver95
LNER N2 0-6-2T
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:24 pm
Location: Leicestershire

Re: Hornby 2020 announcements

Post by Quicksilver95 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:50 pm

Well either way, Hornby can model it - mind you knowing them they'd probably make the same mistake...

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'
Posts: 3222
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 4:43 pm

Re: Hornby 2020 announcements

Post by mick b » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:56 pm

Isinglass Models have the Coronation Set, on his current "to do 3d list". At about £60 to £ 70 a pair or more (at a total guess total cost £400ish ) then you have to build, buy wheels, paint etc ,it wont come cheap !!.

I agree re Mailcoach, ludricous prices for v. poor quality kits.

JASd17
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'
Posts: 1145
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:21 pm

Re: Hornby 2020 announcements

Post by JASd17 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:00 pm

jwealleans wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:14 pm
...the use of the spare set on 4468's record run
Oh, no, no, no, no, no. I thought we'd put that to bed? Or was that on a different forum?

Definitive photographic evidence exists that the set used was three of the Coronation twins.
Quite right Jonathan, H M Hoather's photos show Coronation carriages.

John

Horsetan
NER C7 4-4-2
Posts: 808
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:46 pm

Re: Hornby 2020 announcements

Post by Horsetan » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:24 am

No likelihood of another run of the BR Standard 6 "Clan" 4-6-2, I see. Have Hornby lost access to the tooling?

Hatfield Shed
LNER P2 2-8-2
Posts: 981
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:34 pm

Re: Hornby 2020 announcements

Post by Hatfield Shed » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:22 pm

There was some rumouring that part of the Clan tooling suite had been lost or damaged during the movement of tools from Sanda Kan to the new contracted manufacturing shops. But we just don't know, Clan Destine and all that.

Now if Hornby had enough demand from retailers to produce another run, then they must have the CAD at least to enable a retool - in part or wholly - if that's what is necessary. My suspicion, no real problem with the tools, just not the retailer demand. Wait for the new build to hit the rails in 2030 or thereabouts?

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'
Posts: 3568
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:46 am

Re: Hornby 2020 announcements

Post by jwealleans » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:27 pm

You could ask your mate Gostude if he’s got one, Ivan?

Horsetan
NER C7 4-4-2
Posts: 808
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:46 pm

Re: Hornby 2020 announcements

Post by Horsetan » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:16 am

jwealleans wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:27 pm
You could ask your mate Gostude if he’s got one, Ivan?
Never mind.

Post Reply