Rob's 7mm Rolling Stock Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: 7mm Rolling Stock Builds

Post by Robpulham »

It moves slowly forward although this up date is last night and tonight's effort combined.

First I couldn't resist a shots of it all sat together - no brakes though.

To get the filler on without making a mess all over the tank barrel I drilled a hole in the base and then reamed it out and soldered it in from the inside.

I managed to get the saddles and the end stanchions in place.

And I also rook some time out to make some brake levers - These were cut with a scrawker from 0.25mm brass and 2 laminations up to give them some strength. To cut down on the filing I tapered them from 3.5mm at one end down to 1.5 mm at the other, alternating them on the sheet as I went.

Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

While feeling murky and pondering progress so far my eye was drawn to the clamp bar and while I was happy with it in terms of what it was. I wasn't happy with the size/chunkiness of it and it's height in relation to the lid. So I removed it from the lid and filed the supports down, buoyed by this I then set about slimming and streamlining the clamp bar itself.

I am much happier with the result.

This is a before and after shot.

Pushing on I made a support for the lid - just visible in the photo above.

I then put my thinking cap on to come up with a working clamping mechanism.

This is the result of my efforts and to say that I am pleased with it would be a major understatement.

What I did was take a piece of 1mm brass rod and threaded the end 14ba. I got a corresponding piece of brass tube and tapped the end of that 14ba. I bent the end of the rod round into a loop to create the eye that would attach it to the tank and allow it to swivel up and down. I then filed the eye piece and the rod for a short way up the thread to make it slimmer and more refined once I was happy with this I metal blackened it.

I drilled a 0.7mm hole cross wise through the threaded tube then cut it from the length so that I had a collar with two holes in it. I soldered a piece of 0.7mm wire in each side - the blackening preventing it all going solid (quite topical this bit at the moment). I bent another strip in a U shape flattening the bottom of the U with fine pliers, crossed drilled it again 0.7mm and soldered the pin through the eye of the end and ultimately to the filler side.

At this point it all move wonderfully but didn't really fit that well over the clevis in the clamp bar. Am moments pondering revealed that it would fit better if I turned it over so I un-soldered it cleaned it up and turned it over and now I am chuffed to bits!!
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Ive just ran out of superlatives to describe your builds Rob.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ye Gods! :shock:

My sausage fingers couldn't do that, Rob! Well done, indeed.
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Thanks Gents,
I blame the wife - she keep saying can you do this or that, so I have a go.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Reminds me of the old time watchmakers, with all there intricate brasswork, very sexy :mrgreen:

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I'm not given to using those amusing little yellow blobs and now I look for it there doesn't seem to be one which says 'we are not worthy'.

Will you be bringing it to Doncaster? We'd be delighted to shunt it round the layout.
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

my first visit to this so all i can say is ???can you make me a few of the fillers in 4mm please, beed them for the class G1 gnr 0-4-4's

really nice work and well thought out

paul
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Thanks all,

Sorry but I probably won't make Doncaster this year Jonathan, I plan to go to the ALSRM show in Bolton later in the month instead -One I haven't been to before.

On another forum I was asked to take a photo with a coin to give an idea of scale.

52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Did you make the 5p as well? :D
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

If he did, he would have made it out of an old Tupperware biscuit container :wink:

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

52D wrote:Did you make the 5p as well? :D
I recommend £1 or £2 coins - more worthwhile! :wink:

Seriously though - the quality and detail is amazing! Wonderful craftsmanship! :)
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

2002EarlMarischal wrote:
52D wrote:Did you make the 5p as well? :D
I recommend £1 or £2 coins - more worthwhile! :wink:

Seriously though - the quality and detail is amazing! Wonderful craftsmanship! :)
Yes but sadly I got my maths wrong somewhere when filing the corners off a 50p so £1's or £2's are not on the cards yet! :roll:
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Had a disaster on Friday night,

My soldering iron packed in. It isn't the first time so I had a spare element in stock but it took most of the evening to dig it out and fit it. The upside to this was that my good lady agreed to fund one of the ERSA units favoured by fellow members so that was duly ordered before she changed her mind .

So back to the build, you may recall earlier in the thread that Graham kindly offered to supply me with some sprung W Irons to suit as he had for my tar tub. Despite accepting Graham's offer, what I didn't have to go with Graham's W Irons were any springs (I had axlebox that were spares supplied with a lot of the Slaters/Parkside kit's and Graham has subsequently pointed me at the Exactoscale lists where RCH axleboxes and springs in ABS can be had for £3). I contemplated making some up from bronze strip as I had for Severn but didn't have any in stock.

Despite accepting the kind offer, ultimately I was waylaid while browsing the MMP site (I like to keep up with progress on the new wagon kits ). I have been musing about trying David's detailing kits for Slaters open wagons and thought that this may be the time so I ordered a couple of sets of working leaf springs, a set of underframe detailing. I would have ordered one of the internal detailing sets at the same time but all my Slaters kits are at the cottage so I didn't know exactly which to specify when ordering (I have a couple of opens but don't know offhand whether they are 4 plank 5 plank etc.).

Order placed Wednesday at 8:20 and delivered Friday AM, You cannot expect better than that

Having had experience of these before when making my glass wagon I decided to knock a couple of jigs together to help me get everything as it should be.

First I made a jig to hold the W Irons while soldering the two layers together - a simple U shaped piece of wire on a base. A couple of Aluminium hair grips and all is done very easily.

Next I wanted to make these.

Into these.

So this is a little jig that I made assist with it. It's a length of 1mm nickel bar with a short piece soldered on the side drilled to accept a piece of rod that will go through the eye of the etch and all soldered together

You place the eye over the pin with the two half etched lines visible in the shot of the etch downwards and centred over the thick end of the jig. Get a pair of pliers and open the jaws to the two etched lines visible on the top of the etched part and press downwards. Then press out the rivets and fold up the tab with the eye hole in it and you are cooking with gas.

And the end result is these.

Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

The tank wagon is slowly progressing with not much to see - fitting the may rivets on the sole bars.

But what I have also been doing in the mean time is working towards finishing some of the part painted items. A couple of years ago at Halifax show I picked up some Woodhead transfers for LNER wagons. I tried them out on the implement wagon but they all started to crumble. I a quick search on RMWeb brought up a thread on restoring old transfers and some Microscale liquid decal film was duly ordered - at £5 including postage it was much much cheaper than a new set of transfers from HMRS. Well I have to say it does what it says on the tin.

You paint it on the back of the transfers let it dry for 15 mins (I left it overnight) and then use them like water slide instead of what ever they were originally.

and hey presto -

I cheated slightly here as I still have the running number to put on the other side.

The bottle when you get it seems tiny but it goes a long, long way.