The J61 (GCR Class 4) 0-6-0T Locomotives
The Manchester Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway (MS&LR, later Great Central Railway) acquired a total of fourteen miscellaneous ex-contractor locomotives for operating the Grimsby Docks. All but one of these locomotives were built by Manning, Wardle & Co; and eight were 0-6-0STs and the remaining six were 0-4-0STs. Nine were withdrawn between 1903 and 1907. Two of the 0-6-0STs were withdrawn in May 1922, leaving three locomotives to enter LNER ownership at Grouping in 1912. Two of these were 0-4-0STs and these were classified Y2 by the LNER. The remaining engine was 0-6-0ST No. 407B, which was classified as J61. Built in 1876 by Manning, Wardle & Co it was purchased by the MS&LR in 1878 from Logan & Hemingway. With 14in x 20in inside cylinders, this locomotive had a raised firebox and an open cab. No. 407B was renumbered No. 6469 by the LNER.
Class J61 also included a second locomotive Humber, built by Hudswell, Clarke in 1909. This was also an 0-6-0ST ex-contractor locomotive, and entered the Great Central Railway's (GCR) ownership in 1911 with the number 278. This locomotive also had inside cylinders, but they were smaller measuring 12in diameter with an 18in stroke. The firebox was also raised, but the cab was fully enclosed. It was renumbered as 5278 by the LNER.
The GCR re-boilered No. 407 and took the opportunity to replace the original Salter spring balance safety valves with Ramsbottom safety valves. The original Giffard ejectors were also replaced with a standard GCR backplate type. During GCR ownership, No. 407 also acquired a Robinson-style chimney.
No. 278 experienced less modifications, although it too acquired a Robinson-style chimney.
Both engines were only fitted with hand-brakes. No. 407B was originally fitted with wooden brake shoes, but these were replaced with cast-iron shoes.
Being different designs, Class J61 was subdivided in 1927. No. 6469 became J61/1, and No. 5278 became J61/2.
Both J61 locomotives spent their entire GCR and LNER lives working the docks at Grimsby and Immingham. No. 6469 was exhibited at the 1925 Stockton & Darlington Centenary.
The J61s did not last very long due to their old, non-standard nature. J61/1 no. 6469 was withdrawn in March 1929; and No. J61/2 No. 5278 was withdrawn in April 1931.
The weight and axle loadings for no. 5278 were not recorded by the LNER. The quoted weight is from Hudswell, Clarke & Co records.
|No. 6469||No. 5278|
|Boiler:||Diameter (max):||3ft 7in||3ft 1in|
|Length:||9ft 1.38in||7ft 6in|
|Heating Surface:||Total:||592 sq.ft.||383 sq.ft.|
|Firebox:||52 sq.ft.||35 sq.ft.|
|Tubes:||540 sq.ft. (124x 1.75in dia.)||348 sq.ft. (86x 2in dia.)|
|Grate Area:||9.63 sq.ft.||8 sq.ft.|
|Wheels:||3ft 9in||3ft 1.5in|
|Total Wheelbase:||12ft 9in||10ft 6in|
|Tractive Effort:||(at 85%)||9,472 lb||7,666 lb|
|Length:||25ft 7in||22ft 6.5in|
|Weight:||26t 9cwt||21t 10cwt|
|Max. Axle Load:||9t 13cwt||(not recorded)|
|Water Capacity:||1300 gallons||500 gallons|
|Coal Capacity:||1t 5cwt||1t|
Neither of the J61s survived into preservation.
I am not aware of any models of either of the J61s in any scale.