The J61 (GCR Class 4) 0-6-0T Locomotives
The Manchester Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway (MS&LR, later Great Central Railway) acquired a total of fourteen
miscellaneous ex-contractor locomotives for operating the Grimsby Docks. All but one of these locomotives were built
by Manning, Wardle & Co; and eight were 0-6-0STs and the remaining six were 0-4-0STs. Nine were withdrawn between
1903 and 1907. Two of the 0-6-0STs were withdrawn in May 1922, leaving three locomotives to enter LNER ownership at
Grouping in 1912. Two of these were 0-4-0STs and these were classified
Y2 by the LNER. The remaining engine was 0-6-0ST No. 407B,
which was classified as J61. Built in 1876 by Manning, Wardle & Co it was purchased by the MS&LR in 1878 from
Logan & Hemingway. With 14in x 20in inside cylinders, this locomotive had a raised firebox and an open cab.
No. 407B was renumbered No. 6469 by the LNER.
Class J61 also included a second locomotive Humber, built by Hudswell, Clarke in 1909.
This was also an 0-6-0ST ex-contractor locomotive, and entered the Great Central Railway's (GCR) ownership in 1911 with
the number 278. This locomotive also had inside cylinders, but they were smaller measuring 12in diameter with an 18in stroke.
The firebox was also raised, but the cab was fully enclosed. It was renumbered as 5278 by the LNER.
The GCR re-boilered No. 407 and took the opportunity to replace the original Salter spring balance safety valves with
Ramsbottom safety valves. The original Giffard ejectors were also replaced with a standard GCR backplate type.
During GCR ownership, No. 407 also acquired a Robinson-style
No. 278 experienced less modifications, although it too acquired a
Both engines were only fitted with hand-brakes. No. 407B was originally fitted with wooden brake shoes, but these
were replaced with cast-iron shoes.
Being different designs, Class J61 was subdivided in 1927. No. 6469 became J61/1, and No. 5278 became J61/2.
Both J61 locomotives spent their entire GCR and LNER lives working the docks at Grimsby and Immingham. No. 6469
was exhibited at the 1925 Stockton & Darlington Centenary.
The J61s did not last very long due to their old, non-standard nature. J61/1 no. 6469 was withdrawn in March 1929; and
No. J61/2 No. 5278 was withdrawn in April 1931.
The weight and axle loadings for no. 5278 were not recorded by the LNER. The quoted weight
is from Hudswell, Clarke & Co records.
||540 sq.ft. (124x 1.75in dia.)
||348 sq.ft. (86x 2in dia.)
|Max. Axle Load:
Neither of the J61s survived into preservation.
I am not aware of any models of either of the J61s in any scale.