The Raven/Gresley A8 Pacific Tank Locomotives
The A8s were rebuilt from
H1 4-4-4T Class, by
Gresley between 1931 and 1936.
During the mid-1920s, A5 4-6-2Ts were ordered for the North East Area to
work alongside the H1s.
It quickly became apparent that the A5s had better adhesion due to its
six-coupled driving wheels. Hence in 1931,
H1 No. 2162 was rebuilt as a 4-6-2T and
given the A8 classification.
After a series of trials throughout the North East Area, all of the remaining
H1s were rebuilt as A8 4-6-2Ts between
1933 and 1936.
During the process of rebuilding, the boiler was modified to include a
Robinson-type superheater rather than
the original Schmidt superheater. In 1935, further modifications resulted in the A8 boiler being
interchangeable with the
A6, A7, A8,
The rebuilt A8s could easily work the heavy suburban traffic and long distance coastal trains on
which they were put to work. They were also welcome replacements for the aging
G5 0-4-4Ts which had been
working these services.
Allocations of the 45 locomotives were split between the North East / Newcastle area, the Yorkshire Coast
(Whitby and Scarborough), Hull, and Leeds (Neville Hill).
Diesel railcars were rapidly introduced during the 1950s, and the A8s quickly became surplus to
requirements. Withdrawals started in 1957, and the A8 was extinct by the end of 1960.
||7.5in. piston valves
||680 sq.ft. (131x 1.75in)
||280.6 sq.ft. (18x 5.25in)
||(@ 85% boiler pressure)
||86 tons 18cwt
|Max. Axle Load:
||17 tons 16cwt
The last A8 was withdrawn in 1960, and none survived into preservation.
Worsley Works produce kits of the A8 in both
OO gauge (4mm scale) kits are available from both DJH and Little Engines.