The LNER 0-8-0 Locomotives
The 0-8-0 was an obvious answer to increasing loads that could not be hauled by
0-6-0s without double-heading. Early examples on the
London North Western Railway (LNWR) were three- or four-cylinder compounds, but it was the simple two-cylinder
version that became established. Four of the LNER's constituents, all handling significant coal traffic, adopted
Some 374 0-8-0s were inherited by the LNER, 236 surviving to nationalisation. The
NER alone supplied over 200, including five three-cylinder
locos, to which the LNER added a further ten.
0-8-0 Tender Locomotives
0-8-0 Tank Locomotives
Only one 0-8-0 tank locomotive (the GCR No. 400B) entered LNER ownership at Grouping
in 1923, and was quickly withdrawn from service.
For heavy wartime shunting needs,
Thompson rebuilt thirteen
of the Robinson
Q4s as Q1 0-8-0T heavy shunters
between 1942 and 1945.