The Pollitt Class D5 (GCR Class 11) 4-4-0 Locomotives
The D5s were based on Parker's last design as
locomotive superintendent of the Manchester Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway (MS&LR). Although he left in 1893,
the first D5 was not built until July 1895.
Pollitt modified the design a little bit during this
The final design was slightly longer and the boiler was pitched slightly higher. The wheelbase was increased by
3in. Timmis coiled springs replaced the original leaf springs on the rear coupled axle. The D5s were the first
MS&LR passenger locomotives to have a Belpaire firebox. This design feature was introduced on domestic British
locomotives four years earlier with the MS&LR's
The inside cylinders were horizontal, but the slide valves were inclined at 1 in 10 to allow them to be driven directly
by Stephenson valve motion.
A total of six locomotives were built in the second half of 1895.
In 1897 Pollitt amended the D5 design to include
piston valves to create the D6 design.
With the introduction of the superior D6, no more D5s
would be built.
The Great Central Railway (GCR) and LNER made few modifications to the D5s.
Robinson fitted GCR Standard Type 3 boilers, as
fitted to the saturated
C14 4-4-2Ts, and
D6 4-4-0s. The No. 3 boiler represented a reduction
in the number of tubes from 231 to 190, and an increase in the water spaces at the sides of the firebox. They were
fitted with twin-column Ramsbottom safety valves in cast-iron casings directly on top of the firebox.
After Grouping (1923), the LNER fitted superheated boilers to No. 5694 (Nov. 1925) and No. 5695 (Aug. 1926).
These were of the same type as the superheated boilers fitted to the
D6s. The superheated engines are recorded as being 16cwt
heavier than the saturated engines. From December 1927, the superheated engines were given the sub-classification of D5/2
while the original saturated engines became D5/1.
There were also a few minor modifications. With the opening of the London Extension in 1899, the D5s had their original
3080 gallon tenders replaced with 4000 gallon tenders of the type fitted to the
The D5s were rarely used on the new line, and many of the original 3080 gallon tenders were refitted. Between 1924
and 1926, the LNER fitted the D5s with 4000 gallon tenders that had been built for the
Robinson-pattern chimneys were fitted shortly after
1900. In 1912, the cab roofs were extended backwards to cover the whole of the footplate. Cast brass number plates
were fitted to the cab sides at about the same time. Between 1911 and about 1920, the entire class received
extended smokeboxes similar to those fitted to the superheated
When built, the six D5s were allocated to Gorton to haul the Gorton-Grantham section of the Manchester to
King's Cross through expresses. The arrival of the
D6s quickly displaced the D5s from the
main MS&LR passenger services. The
D6s also monopolised the new London Extension when it
opened in 1899, confining the D5s to the original Manchester-Sheffield-Lincoln route.
By 1910, all six D5s were allocated to Neepsend shed in Sheffield, and worked between Grimsby and Leicester.
The D5s were seen further afield during the First World War, including London Extension services.
Usually they were piloting GCR Atlantics (C5s and
C6s), but occasionally they were seen with their
own 12 coach trains.
In 1921, all six D5s were transferred to the Cheshire Lines. Initially allocated to Trafford Park, they were slowly
moved to Liverpool Walton shed to replace the withdrawn
D8 4-4-0 and
E2 2-4-0 locomotives.
Whilst working in the Cheshire area, the D5s tended to work on slower stopping services, rather than the
faster Liverpool expresses. Many of these stopping services required tender-first running which was better suited to
tank engines. Hence they were a natural choice for withdrawal, and withdrawals started in July 1930.
No. 5699 was the last D5 to be withdrawn in March 1933. It had a life of less than 40 years.
The D5s were fitted with 3080 and 4000 gallon tenders. The following figures are for the 3080 gallon tender locomotives.
The 4000 gallon tender locomotives had 4ft 3in tender wheels, and a full weight of 91 tons 11cwt.
||993 sq.ft. (190x 1.75in)
||(@ 85% boiler pressure)
||85 tons 17cwt
||48 tons 11cwt
||37 tons 6cwt
|Max. Axle Load:
The last D5 was withdrawn in 1933, and none survived into preservation.
I am not aware of any models of the D5s in any scale.