LNER Internal Combustion Locomotives
Although all four post-Grouping companies pursued diesel traction, it was the LMS shunters and GWR railcars
that were the most numerous. The LNER commissioned just five shunters, all of which lasted to Nationalisation (1948).
They were preceded by a 1932 shunter that initially ran on LNER lines without being purchased. The LNER also
inherited petrol locomotives from the
NBR, and purchased a third. All three survived to
Also listed here are two experimental locomotives that ran trials on LNER metals, one a hybrid steam-diesel.
Internal Combustion Locomotives
The LNER also had 10 narrow gauge internal combustion locomotives. These were used for a variety of
different purposes including "passing through [creosote] tanks", moving spoil, and
the infilling of the Hull Queen's Dock. These were made by Baguley/McEwan Pratt, Motor Rail & Tram,
and Ruston & Hornsby; and gauges ranged between 2ft and 3ft. The records for these locomotives is
Internal Combustion Railcars
The LNER inherited a number of railcars with internal combustion. Most were built on a trial basis and
were never purchased in larger numbers.