- Resident Engineer A.L.. Dickens was the younger brother of author Charles Dickens.
- The original Bill proposed a further branch from Driffield to Frodingham Bridge, about five miles in length. This was never built.
- Some lineside structures were built from bricks incised "MDR".
- The M&D never owned any locomotives or rolling stock. From the very beginning, all rolling stock was provided by the YNMR.
- The southern portal of Burdale tunnel is wide enough for a double track line, the northern portal is only wide enough for a single track. This demonstrates the downgrading of plans during construction.
- Malton station was actually in the East Riding village of Norton, Malton being on the other bank of the River Derwent, in the North Riding.
- The passenger service was known locally as "The Malton Dodger".
- One notable personage to use the line was General de Gaulle who visited a camp of French troops near Sledmere during the Second World War.
- In 1948 the Royal train ran from the Driffield end of the line to Sledmere & Fimber carrying King George VI, Queen Elizabeth & Princess Margaret for a visit to Sledmere House. The locomotive was A2 60534 Irish Elegance.
- The enamel NER station sign for Wharram was restored by author Warwick Burton and may be seen on the side of a cottage on the site of the abandoned medieval village of Wharram Percy (about 1/4 mile from the line).
Thank you to Richard Barron for the above information.