Timeline of the Cheshire Lines Committee

1862 The group of lines brought together and managed by a joint committee of MS&LR and GNR members.

1863 The Great Northern (Cheshire Lines) Act.

1865 The Midland took an equal share.

1865 The Cheshire Lines Transfer Act established the company and included powers to build a line between Manchester and Liverpool.

1865 Absorbed the Liverpool & Garston Railway.

1867 The Cheshire Lines Act formalised the CLC as an independent company.

1873 Premier main line between Manchester and Liverpool opened.

1874 Liverpool Central opened, replaced the former terminus at Brunswick.

1874 Through route between Manchester and Chester (Northgate) completed.

1880 Manchester Central opened.

1884 The Southport & Cheshire Lines Extension Railway opened between Liverpool and Southport Lord Street.
This was an independent concern but the trains were operated by the CLC.

1923 Grouping.
The CLC remains an independent railway with three LMS and six LNER directors.

1948 Nationalisation.
The CLC finally loses independence and becomes part of BR (London Midland Region).

1969 Manchester Central station closed.

1972 Liverpool Central station closed.


Thank you to Richard Barron for the above information.