The Wisbech and Upwell Tramway: Further Reading
The following pages within the LNER Encyclopedia provide more detail about related subjects:
- GER Class G15 (LNER Y6) 0-4-0 Steam Trams
- GER Class C53 (LNER J70) 0-6-0 Steam Trams
- Y10 0-4-0 'Super Sentinel'
- T.W. Worsdell, GER Locomotive Superintendent
- James Holden, GER Locomotive Superintendent
The following resources were used in the writing of these pages, and are recommended for people looking for further information.
- Martin Clutt's Awdry Engines site details
the various locomotives from the Awdry stories and their prototypes; including Toby, Mavis, and Henrietta.
- The Awdry Family Site is a must-see website for fans of the Awdry Railway
Stories, including Toby and Mavis.
- The maps were produced by Winwaed Software Technology LLC using Microsoft's MapPoint product.
The Wisbech & Upwell Tramway, by E.J. Gadsden et al
was written in the last months of the tramway and gives a good historical description, including a chapter of
stories and anecdotes by Rev. W. Awdry.
The Wisbech and Upwell Tramway Centenary Album, by Andrew C. Ingram
was published to mark the centenary of the opening of the tramway.
Life and Times of the Great Eastern Railway, 1839-1923, by H.W. Paar, Adrian Gray
is a collection of stories about the personalities involved with the Great Eastern Railway selected from
throughout its life.
"The Wisbech and Upwell Tramway" - two part article in Railway Bylines Volume 6: Issue 5 (April 2001), and Issue
9 (August 2001).
- "Missed Trains: Wisbech in the Railway Age" by H.C. Jones, is available from the Wisbech and Fenland Museum, Museum Square, Wisbech, Cambs PE13 1ES for £4.00 including UK postage. This book is a detailed account of Wisbech during the Railway Mania of the 1840s.
- The HMRS Museum and Study Centre at Swanwick Junction in Derbyshire, contains a 7mm scale model of the fictional Elmwell Village Depot terminus of a proposed branch line of the Wisbech & Upwell system.
|Introduction||History||Route||Rolling Stock||Toby & Mavis||Further Reading|