The Aberford Railway: Further Reading and Acknowledgements
The following pages within the LNER Encyclopedia provide more detail about related subjects:
The following resources were used in the writing of this page, and are recommended for people looking for further information.
- Brian Hull operates two websites that are relevant. The first has lots of information about
Parlington Hall and the Gascoignes. The second site is relatively new, but
covers the village of Aberford.
- The Barwick-in-Elmet Historical Society has a long three page article about the neighbouring (and competing)
- The Aberford Railway and the History of the Garforth Collieries, by Graham S. Hudson
concentrates on the Gascoigne family, as well as the coal and rail operations in the Garforth area. This includes
the planning and development of various long distances schemes through the area including the Leeds & Selby Railway,
and the York & North Midland Railway.
- Thank you to Phill Cortes for many of the colour
route photographs which were taken during summer 2005. The remainder were taken by myself during summer 2007.
- Thank you to Brian Hull for his research into the Gascoigne's and Parlington Hall, including the
the two photographs of Aberford Village and Parlington Lane.
- Thank you to Chrissie Walton for the pictures of Trench Pit and Isabella Pit.
|Introduction||Gascoignes||Early 19th Century||Aberford Railway||Steam Locomotives||Final Years||Route||Further Reading|