Timeline of the GNR
1844 Launch of the London & York Railway prospectus
1846 The London & York Railway Bill received assent
The GNR name is adopted.
1848 First GNR service from Louth to New Holland commences
Serivce is in association with the MS&LR).
1850 Line opens between London & Peterborough
Through trains from London to Yorkshire commence via Lincoln and Retford.
1852 Peterborough - Retford section opens
1852 King's Cross station opens
1852 London to Nottingham service commenced
1858 MR extended mainline south from Leicester to Hitchin
The MR uses running powers to reach King's Cross and hence access access to the capital.
1860 ECJS established
1865 GNR joins the CLC partnership
c.1865 Line opens between Doncaster and Leeds
1866 Locomotive Superintendent Archibald Sturrock retires
Patrick Stirling becomes the new locomotive superintendent.
1867 Loop line from Peterborough to Doncaster via Lincoln is finally completed
1872 Building of the line from Colwick (Nottingham) to Derby commences
c.1877 Joint line with the GER planned
This includes a part of the Lincoln loop line, to give access into Cambridgeshire.
1879 The GNR introduces the first dining car in the UK
1881 The GNR Purchases the Stafford & Uttoxeter Railway
1905 H.N. Gresley is appointed to the position of Carriage & Wagon Superintendent
1922 On 31st December, the GNR ceases to exist and becomes part of the LNER
Thank you to Richard Barron for the above information.