Harwich - Hoek van Holland
1932 - 1939 also operated summer cruises to Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Vlissingen, Ghent, Zeebrugge and Rouen, her promenade
deck being extended and extra lounge space installed for this purpose.
In July 1935 she represented the G.E.R. at the
Jubilee Naval Review at Spithead.
She was trooping between Southampton, Le
between December 1939 and May 1940, then took part in the evacuations from
both French ports and later with 2346 servicemen from Brest to Plymouth in mid-June. In July she moved to Swansea for an intended
conversion to a fleet oiler (fuel carrier), conversion began in December
but was discontinued after April 1941.
Instead, she was converted to a Depot Ship to support motor
torpedo boats and as such was commissioned as HMS VIENNA in June 1942
and proceeded to North Africa and in
1943 to the Sicily landings, later
based at Bari
to support operations in the Adriatic.
Returned to the U.K.
in October 1944 and decommissioned from the navy, she reverted to trooping
duties under the Ministry of Transport, Tilbury to Ostend before taking up her old route
Harwich - Hoek van Holland. Although
under LNER management, she remained under Government ownership and
continued as a peacetime troopship until withdrawn and broken up at Ghent, arrived 4 September 1960.